• Tech pitcher Joe Mantiply moved into the fifth spot in career innings pitched at Tech. He has now thrown 299.2 innings in his career. He passed Mike Williams, who threw 298.1 innings in his career from 1988-90.
• Andrew Rash made his first career start at third base. He had primarily been an outfielder and designated hitter. He has started 35 games in center, 14 games in right, four games in left and four as the designated hitter.
• Connecticut is now 28-1 when leading after eight innings.
• With his steal, Tom Verdi becomes the third Husky player on the 2013 squad to reach the 20+ steal mark. UConn holds a 116-90 edge against its opponents in thefts this season.
• UConn is a perfect 19-0 when they hold an opponent to 2 or fewer runs.
• UConn scored more runs (5) tonight than it has in its previous 3 games combined against VT (3 runs).
• LJ Mazzilli eclipsed the 50 RBI plateau for the first time in his career. Mazzilli is responsible for 18.7 percent (50 of 267) of the Husky RBI this season.
• Tech dropped its first game against Connecticut since 2001 when it lost 3-2. The Hokies seven-game win streak against the Huskies was snapped.
• Connecticut has its third 5-plus game win streak of the season. The longest UConn winning streak this season sits at 7 games.
• Before tonight, the last time UConn won a road game against a ranked team was on 4/29/12 when it upended then-ranked #20 Louisville 7-4.
• Connecticut is 17-6 this season against a lefty starter.
• LJ Mazzilli now has 22 hits in 11 NCAA Tournament games to go along with 10 RBI.