Humes Takes First Steps Back
Junior runs for first time on Thursday
July 1, 2004

He remembers it like it was yesterday, but in fact it was just under three months ago that junior tailback Cedric Humes suffered a high ankle sprain and a distal fibular fracture in his left leg on his second rush of the first intrasquad scrimmage.

April 3 — 89 days ago — was the day he broke the bone. He had surgery to repair the ankle a few days later and the fracture has healed on its own, but July 1 is the day he took a major step back on the road to recovery. After weeks on crutches, weeks in a walking boot and months working out in the HydroTrak — Tech’s underwater treadmill — Humes ran for the first time Thursday.

“It felt good, but I have to get used to running again,” said the Virginia Beach native. “I know I’m going to be sore tonight and tomorrow, but after I get going for a while, I think I’ll be fine.”

He’s still not back to 100 percent, but is coming along nicely, according to head athletic trainer Mike Goforth.

“He looked good today and he’s going to get better every day he runs,” he said. “This is the first time he’s run since spring, so for the first day, I’m very pleased. We’ll start filming him here soon so he can see what he looks like when running, but I’m very pleased with where he’s at right now. Cedric has a great work ethic and attitude, so he’s going to do whatever it takes to try and be ready in a month.”

Humes ran 11 of the 14 of 110-yard sprints with the skill position players, running “between 70 and 75 percent” and wearing a special brace constructed for his ankle.

“At first, when I began rehabbing, it felt like the injury was so long ago, but recently as I’ve gotten closer to this day, it’s seemed like the injury happened just yesterday,” Humes said.

The next step for Humes is to continue each week with three days of strength training and two days working on his endurance, agility and cuts in hopes of being at or near 100 percent for the Aug. 3 reporting day.

“I’d say there’s a strong possibility I’ll be 100 percent by August 3, but if not, I’ll be ready within a week or so of practice starting,” Humes said. “For now, I have to keep working on getting in shape and rehabbing as much as they’ll let me.”

“In a week or so, we’ll begin doing light pass routes and try to get him ready for practice,” Goforth said. “But we can’t get caught up in the August 3 date because he’ll still have a month after practice starts to be ready for the opener.”

Humes said he still hasn’t watched the film from that practice, when Isaac Montgomery accidentally rolled up on his leg, but harbors no hard feelings toward his teammate.

“He came up to me and said how sorry he was and that he didn’t mean to do it,” Humes said. “I know he didn’t mean to and it’s just one of those freak accidents that happen on the football field. Hopefully, I can use it to make me that much better this year.”