The Virginia Tech football team (0-0, 0-0 ACC) opens its 2013 season with a neutral site contest against top-ranked and two-time defending national champion Alabama Saturday in Atlanta for the Chick-fil-A College Kickoff Game. Kickoff is set for 5:31 p.m. and the game will be televised on the ESPN. Sean McDonough, Chris Spielman and Shannon Spake will handle the announcing duties.
• Virginia Tech and the University of Alabama will meet for the 13th time when they face off Saturday night in the Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game, played inside the Georgia Dome.
• Alabama won the first 10 meetings in the series, including five when ranked in the top 10 in the AP Poll, and leads the series 11-1.
• Tech’s lone win in the series was a 38-7 win in the inaugural Music City Bowl in 1998 in Nashville. The two met in the 2009 Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game with the Crimson Tide rallying in the fourth quarter for a 34-24 win.
• The series began in 1932 with the first three games being played in Tuscaloosa. Tech is 1-3 against Alabama at neutral sites.
• This will be the fourth time that Virginia Tech opens its season against the Crimson Tide, previously opening the season against them in 2009, 1969 and 1968. It will be the second time the Hokies open the season against the No. 1 team in the Associated Press poll (2004 vs. Southern Cal).
• Alabama won national titles in four of the five previous seasons it played the Hokies: 1979, 1978, 1973 and 2009.
The Opening Act
• The Hokies are 18-8 in season openers during Frank Beamer’s tenure as head coach, winning 13 of their past 17.
Against No. 1
• Tech is 0-7 all-time against the top-ranked team in the Associated Press Top 25 Poll.
Georgia On Our Mind
• Three potential starters on Virginia Tech’s roster played their high school ball within 40 miles of the Georgia Dome: Detrick Bonner (McDonough, 32 miles), Brandon Facyson (Newnan, 40 miles) and Joshua Stanford (Lithonia, 19 miles).
• Tech will return to Atlanta in 26 days to take on Georgia Tech in a Thursday Night ESPN Game (Sept. 26).
Tweet It Out
A few game notes in 140 characters or less
This will be the 13th meeting between @AlabamaFTBL and @VT_Football and the 2nd meeting in the
@chickfilabowl College Kickoff. #VTvsBAMA
.@VT_Football has opened the season against @AlabamaFTBL in three previous seasons - 2009, 1968 and 1967.
.@VT_Football has three potential starters on its roster from the state of Georgia, the site of the game, but no players from Alabama.
With @AlabamaFTBL ranked No. 1, this will be the sixth time the Tide will have been ranked in the AP Top 5 when it plays @VT_Football. #VTvsBAMA
.@VT_Football will return to Atlanta in 26 days to take on @GTAthletics on Sept. 26 in an @espn Thursday Night Game.
The #Hokies were the last non-SEC team to lead @AlabamaFTBL in the 4th Q of a game when they led 17-16 in the 2009 @chickfilabowl Kickoff.
For updates on Virginia Tech football, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_Football).