Virginia Tech (2-1) will wrap up its non-conference portion of the 2013 schedule when it hosts Marshall (2-1) Saturday at Lane Stadium/Worsham Field. Kickoff is set for 12:01 p.m. Tom Hart and John Congemi will have the call for ESPNU, which will broadcast the game.
• Saturday’s game will mark the 12th football meeting between Virginia Tech and Marshall University. Tech holds a 9-2 edge in the series, which began in 1913.
• The two schools last met in 2011 with the 13th-ranked Hokies leaving Huntington with a 30-10 victory. In 2009, the two met in Blacksburg with the Hokies winning 52-10. Tech won the first two games of the series in Blacksburg during the 1913 and 1914 seasons. The Hokies traveled to Huntington, W.Va., in 1939 and 1940 to take on the Thundering Herd and lost both contests.
• From 1951-53, the two schools met in night games at Bluefield, W.Va., with the Hokies winning each game by seven points or less. The last of those meetings was a 7-0 Tech win in 1953. The two also met in 2002 and 2005 with Tech winning both of those contests.
Connections to Marshall
• Two Hokies - Frank Loria and Rick Tolley - were on the Marshall staff that was part of the Southern Airways Flight 932 that crashed on Nov. 14, 1970 as the team was returning from East Carolina. Loria played for the Hokies from 1965-1967, helping Tech to a berth in the 1966 Liberty Bowl. He joined the Marshall University coaching staff in 1969 as the defensive backs coach.
• Loria played safety in the same defensive backfield with Tech head coach Frank Beamer. Tolley played football as a center and linebacker at Tech from 1958-61 and was the head coach of the Marshall football team during the 1969 and 1970 seasons.
• Marshall defensive line coach J.C. Price was a defensive linemen for Virginia Tech, helping the Hokies win a Big East title while earning first-team All-Big East and third-team All-America honors. He was a third round selection by the Carolina Panthers in the 1996 NFL Draft. Price earned bachelor’s degrees in interdisciplinary studies (1998) and health and education (2002) from Tech.
Strong in September
• Tech has a 69-12 mark in September dating back to the start of its bowl streak in the 1993 season, including a 30-7 mark over the past eight seasons (2005-2013).
Going For 700
• The Hokies enter Saturday’s game with 699 wins in program history. A win would give them 700 and make them just the 15th school in NCAA FBS history to reach the plateau. Syracuse is also sitting at 699 wins in its history.
A few game notes in 140 characters or less
This will be the 12th meeting between @VT_Football and @Herd_Zone with the #hokies leading 9-2. #MARvsVT
Two #Hokies - Frank Loria and Rick Tolley - were on the Marshall coaching staff that was part of the team flight that crashed on Nov. 14, 1970.
.@VT_Football has a 69-12 mark in September dating back to the start of its bowl streak in the 1993 season.
Marshall D-line coach J.C. Price, in his 2nd year with the Herd, earned third-team All-America honors while playing for @VT_Football.
The #Hokies need 1 win to reach 700 in program history and become the 15th school in NCAA FBS history to reach the plateau.
The #Hokies will play eight consecutive #ACC games after this week, starting in five days at @GTAthletics.
Military Appreciation Day
• Saturday is Military Appreciation Day as we take a moment to recognize all of those serving to protect this great country. Below is a list of just a few members of the football team and athletic department who are serving or have family who have served/are serving our country:
Player: Family Member; Branch
Alford, Dewayne: Dewayne Alford (father); Army
Arkema, Matt: Justin Arkema (cousin); Air Force
Arkema, Matt: Drew Arkema (cousin); Marines
Caleb, Joel: Jarrett Bailey (cousin); Army
Chung, Kyle: Chad Lucas (family friend); Navy
Clark, Chuck: Charles Clark, Sr. (father); Navy
D’Antuono, Eddie: Carlton Scherlhorn (grandfather); Army
D’Antuono, Eddie: Patrick English (cousin); Army
DiNardo, Derrick: James DiNardo (grandfather); Navy
Edwards, Tariq: Shakeema Edwards (sister); Navy
Farris, Caleb: Damien Farris (brother); Army
Gibson, Laurence: Michelle Gibson (mother); Army
Haynes, Jeremy: Ryan Haynes (cousin); Army
Hoepner, Fuller: Alex Crawford; Navy
Hoepner, Fuller: Erich Hoepner; Army
Leal, Mark: Mark Leal (father); Army
Leal, Mark: Orton Trent (stepfather); Marines
Taylor, Maurice: Richard Austin (uncle); Army
Taylor, Quinton: Travon Taylor (brother); Air Force
Teller, Wyatt: Rick Teller (father); Army
Trimble, Josh: Jeremy Trimble (brother); Army
Trimble, Josh: Jordan Trimble (brother); Army
Trimble, Josh: Justin Trimble (brother); Army
Tyler, Jack: Patrick Tyler (brother); Marines
Ward, Ross: William Ward (grandfather); Air Force
Willenbrock, Jack: Stephanie Willenbrock; Army
Willenbrock, Jack: Pierce WIllenbrock; Army
Williams, Chase: Roger McCarroll (grandfather); Army
Employee: Family Member; Branch
Foster, Bud: Bryon Edgecombe (nephew/God son); Marines
Holmes, Jermaine: Forrest Black (cousin); Army
Johnston, Bryan: Ralph Bryan (grandfather); Army
Karlin, Lester: Dallas Ayers (nephew); Air Force
Karlin, Lester: Charles Karlin (father); Army
Knachel, Dave: Robert Knachel (father); Navy
Nosal, Greg: Greg Nosal (father); Navy
Robertson, Jimmy: David Robertson (father); Army
Smith, Carmela: Landon Smith (son); Marines
Smith, Dave: June Smith (mother); Navy
Smith, Dave: Carl Smith (father); Army
Smith, Sandy: veteran; Marines
Stinespring, Bryan: Bob Stinespring (father); Army
Stinespring, Bryan: Bill Stinespring (uncle); Army
Stinespring, Bryan: Teddy Stinespring (uncle); Army
Stinespring, Bryan: Bland Franklin (father-in-law); Navy
Viet, Adam: veteran; Air Force
Walls, Brian: Ryan Curtis (cousin); Air Force
Weirarth, Matthew: active duty; Air Force
• Tech will wear a special camouflage jersey and helmet combo Saturday. The items will be auctioned off on hokiesports.com next week and profits will benefit Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund.
For updates on Virginia Tech football, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_Football).