2017 Virginia Tech spring football preview, rosters and more
Hokies start spring practice Tuesday, as Justin Fuente enters second season at Tech
March 20, 2017
Roster and notes
Fuente returns 37 letterwinners and 14 starters from last season’s squad that went 10-4, won the ACC Coastal Division crown and captured a third straight bowl victory. The Hokies will conduct their annual Maroon-Orange Spring Game at 2:30 p.m. on April 22.
To download the entire 2017 preview and updated rosters, please visit here.
WHAT TO WATCH IN 2017
- The 2017 season will mark the 125th anniversary of football at Virginia Tech (1st season – 1892).
- Tech opens the 2017 season vs. West Virginia (Sept. 2) at FedExField. It will mark the first contest for The Black Diamond Trophy since the Hokies registered a 34-17 win at West Virginia on Oct. 1, 2005. Tech is 7-3 vs. the Mountaineers in the past 10 meetings.
- The Hokies will play the defending national champion for the third time in the past five seasons – Clemson (2017), Ohio State (2015) and Alabama (2013).
- Fuente needs six victories to bypass B.C. Cubbage (15 wins in 1921-22) for the best two-year win total to start a Virginia Tech career.
- Kicker Joey Slye (63) needs six more made field goals to bypass Shayne Graham (68) for the highest total in Tech history.
- Slye is third in Tech history with 321 points. He needs 16 more to bypass tailback Lee Suggs (336) for second and 51 more to overtake Graham (371) for the all-time lead.
- Receiver Cam Phillips (2,063) needs 905 receiving yards to overtake the Tech career record of Isaiah Ford (2,967).
- Cornerback Greg Stroman (92) needs 20 more punt returns to move ahead of Eddie Royal (111) for second in Tech history.
Student season tickets on sale
Virginia Tech students now can purchase 2017 student season tickets. Student tickets for the opening game of the 2017 season against West Virginia on Sept. 2 also are on sale. Check out all the details.
Student Tickets – West Virginia Game at FedExField
– VT –
For updates on Virginia Tech football, follow the Hokies on Twitter Follow @VT_Football and on Instagram @vthokiefootball