April 9, 2011
Rosebro's late heroics propel Hokies past Lehigh, 6-5
Tech claims victory with one second on the clock
Virginia Tech (9-6) 246
Lehigh (8-5) 235
  • Ulrich Sports Cmplx. - 331

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - A bounced shot from 12 meters out with one second remaining in the game made sophomore Libby Rosebro the late hero for the Hokies as they topped the Lehigh Mountain Hawks, 6-5, at Ulrich Sports Complex on the Lehigh campus.

A missed shot that was recovered on the left side of the field by senior Caitlyn Wier set up the opportunity for Rosebro, who looked around for options but instinctively fired from beyond normal range, realizing the buzzer was ticking closer. Rosebro bounced the shot past the unprepared goalie to put the game away for the Hokies (9-6).

Minutes before the game-winning shot, Lehigh’s all-time leading scorer Lauren Dykstra nearly kept the advantage in favor of the Mountain Hawks (8-5), where it had been for most of the game, when she buried a goal with 2:04 remaining in the game. The goal was eventually called back when her stick was checked by the referees after the score and the pocket size was ruled illegal.

Prior to both scores, the game was tied at five apiece after seniors Allie Emala and Caitlyn Wier teamed up on back-to-back goals, just over a minute apart. A typical Wier relay from behind the goal set up the first score, and a missed shot up close by Emala that was immediately scooped up by Wier and dished back to Emala for a quick flick in allowed for the second one.

Dykstra, who did the bulk of the scoring for Lehigh and paced the team with four goals on the day, regained the Mountain Hawks their largest lead of the game with under 15 minutes remaining in the contest when she buried two straight goals. The first was on a free position attempt and the other, barely bounced over the stick of Tech’s goalkeeper Alex Gale.

The two teams began the second half trading goals but the slow start to the half was much like the beginning of the game. Dykstra put Lehigh on the board first in the opening minute of play and buried another with under 16 minutes to go in the first half.

After back-and-forth play and a combined 16 turnovers in the first 20 minutes, Tech came around and broke through the Lehigh defense with just under eight minutes until halftime. Sophomore Emile Hunter got things going for the Hokies when she came from all the way around the goal and slipped an up-close shot into the right side of the goal.

Sophomore Julia Heaps tied things up at two apiece just minutes later when she was able to find the back of the cage through the crowd.

Along with Tech’s late surge, the play of Gale kept the Hokies in the game in the first half. She tallied six saves in the first period, including one on a free position attempt.

Gale finished the day with 10 saves, while Allie Emala paced the Tech offense with two goals. Lehigh’s goalie Alex Fitzpatrick tallied 11 saves in the game.

Tech will return to action on Tuesday, April 12 to host Longwood at 4 p.m.

For updates on Virginia Tech lacrosse, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_Lax).

HokieSports Shop