February 21, 2016
Tech wins OT thriller against High Point
Hokies rallied from a five-goal deficit for 14-13 victory
High Point (0-2) 94013
Virginia Tech (4-2) 67114
  • Indoor Practice - 223

BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Virginia Tech lacrosse team rallied from a five-goal deficit in the second half to beat High Point in overtime on Sunday afternoon, 14-13.

The Hokies (4-2) trailed High Point (0-2) 11-6 with 25:55 left in regulation but Tech would score eight of the next nine goals, including the last three, to take the victory. Meghan Macera scored the game-winner just over a minute into the sudden-death overtime period.

Kristine Loscalzo scored a career-high four goals and added an assist for six total points. She took six shots with a team-high five shots on goal. Tristan McGinley scored three goals while Zan Biedenharn, Paige Murray and Macera each scored two. Jessi Thon also added a goal in the victory.

The Hokies and Panthers were even on shots 25-25 while Tech held a slight edge in shots on goal at 19-18. Tech caused 18 turnovers to High Point’s 10 but the Panthers had a 28-20 edge in ground balls.

Tech got off to a quick start and scored the first two goals of the game in just 3:31 with McGinley and Loscalzo scoring. High Point would respond and score three quick unanswered goals to take a 3-2 lead with 23:32 left in the first half. Meghan Macera would scored to tie it at 3-3 but High Point would again score three straight to retake control with a 7-4 lead.

The teams each scored twice before heading into halftime with the Panthers holding a 9-6 edge. High Point would start the second half strong and score twice to take the largest lead of the game at 11-6 with 25:55 remaining.

The Hokies came charging back as they scored five straight goals in just under 10 minutes. McGinley started the run by scoring with 23:28 left and Loscalzo tied the game at 11-11 with 13:44 left in regulation.

High Point would attempt to pull away after Emily Meier and Samantha Brown scored to give the Panthers the lead back, this time 13-11. Loscalzo and the Hokies responded as she scored twice in less than 20 seconds to tie the game at 13-13 with 6:29 left.

Tech would have what was initially thought to be the game-winning goal from Maddy Wollmuth with 17 seconds left but offsetting penalties were called and a yellow card was issued to nullify the goal. The Hokies would gain possession just shortly into the overtime period and Macera found her way into the eight-meter arc to score the game-winner.

The Hokies will face Radford at 4 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon.

For updates on Virginia Tech lacrosse, follow the Hokies on Twitter

HokieSports Shop