Hokie Offense Impressive in Second Spring Scrimmage
Tech collects first shutout of spring
April 10, 2002

BLUEFIELD, W.Va. - The Virginia Tech men's soccer team traveled to Bluefield, W.Va., to play two scrimmages last weekend. The Hokies top 11 battled with Davidson in the first game and came up with a 2-0 victory over the Wildcats. It was the team's first shutout of the spring and mainly the result of exceptional goalkeeping by sophomore Chris Davidovicz (Charlotte, N.C.).

Tech got on the board midway through the first half when Bobby O'Brien (Williamsburg, Va.) headed the ball off a corner kick back across the box to an onrushing Eric Prigot (Park Ridge, N.J.) who slotted the ball under the crossbar for a 1-0 lead.

The Wildcats kept creating chances, but were either smothered by Davidovicz or stopped by Tech's defensive pressure. The second goal came late in the second half when O'Brien broke free on the right wing and carried the ball down to the end line. He spotted an open Bailey Allman (Virginia Beach, Va.) on the far post and hit him with a pass that Allman pushed across the empty goal line.

Kenny Jonmaire (East Aurora, N.Y.) earned praise from head coach Oliver Weiss for his good work rate and energy in midfield. Greg Medsker (Fredericksburg, Va.) also looked steady anchoring the defense which experimented with multiple formations throughout the day.

"It's nice to experiment with players, formations and systems of play in the spring when all games are friendly," Weiss said. "I want to make sure I can give every player a chance to play in the spring and expose him to another position so that he may grow as a player and I can evaluate his ability to adapt to change and adversity. So far I am pleased with the way our players have adapted to different situations on the field."

In the second match of the day, Weiss gave his reserves a chance to prove themselves against the NAIA national semifinalist Rio Grande College from Ohio. After a nice freekick goal from Beau Hubbard (Weems, Va.) and a tricky shot from Adam Bernardi (Naperville, Ill.), Tech was ahead 2-0 with just 15 minutes to go. However, a defensive error and a foul that led to Rio Grande capitalizing on a penalty kick, tied the game at 2-2.

The Hokies' next contest will be at Radford this Saturday at 1 o'clock. At 7 p.m., that same evening, the annual men's soccer banquet will take place at the Donaldson Brown Conference Center. Over 100 players, coaches, parents, alumni and guests are expected.