Coaches Use Day Off To Run Marathon
Weiss, Korondi, and Sexton participate in U.S. Air Force Marathon
September 22, 2003

DAYTON, Ohio - The three men's soccer coaches at Virginia Tech all enjoy running, so when an opportunity came up to run a marathon, they couldn't pass it up.

Head coach Oliver Weiss and assistants Kevin Korondi and John Sexton ran in the 2003 United States Air Force Marathon last Saturday at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, Ohio. The Hokies were in Dayton participating in a tournament hosted by the University of Dayton and had Saturday off. So, the coaches got the opportunity to have a little fun while the team cheered them on. Weiss admitted that it was sheer coincidence the marathon was going on the same weekend the Hokies were in Dayton.

"Every member of our staff enjoys running or jogging, and we've all done a marathon before, so we figured this might be a fun thing to do on the off day," said Weiss, whose team won both their games during the weekend to capture the championship of the soccer tournament. "We found out about it by sheer coincidence. We signed up for this tournament about a year ago, and a couple months ago, one of us was scanning some websites and found out there was a marathon. We played on Friday and Sunday, so why not run on Saturday."

The coaches represented the Maroon and Orange well, all finishing in less than four hours. Weiss finished in 3:23.50, and Korondi cruised across the finish line with a time of 3:25.47. Sexton got some encouragement from the Virginia Tech team as he sprinted down the final stretch and leaned across for a time of 3:59.57. All three finished in the top tier of the almost 3,000 participants The marathon's final stretch was on one of the runways, and the runners came right through a corridor of U.S. Air Force planes.

Weiss said having the team there really helped during the final part of the race.

"We went over at about 7 a.m., and at 9, the guys came over after breakfast, so they got to see the last half-hour. It was inspiring," he said. "They had some rhythmic clapping going on for us, and they cheered John on so much that he made it in under four hours. It created a family atmosphere for us."

Now that they've done one together, don't be surprised if the Hokies are playing more matches near marathon sites next season.