Hokies knock Off Sixth-Ranked St. John's, 2-1
Virginia Tech comes from behind to win 10th match
October 18, 2003

BLACKSBURG, Va. - The 25th-ranked Virginia Tech men's soccer team took a giant step forward in the BIG EAST and in the national scene Saturday night by knocking off the sixth-ranked St. John's Red Storm 2-1 in comeback fashion. The Hokies climbed one step closer to the top of the league standings by improving to 5-2-0, while the Red Storm fell to 6-1-0. Overall, the Hokies improved to 10-3-1, the best record in the conference.

"I can't even explain this," said freshman Ben Nason, who had an assist. "We came off the field and we're all thinking 'this could be the most important win of all-time for this program.' The momentum changes in the BIG EAST now - it's just awesome."

The win for the Hokies over the top-10 Red Storm team marks the highest-ranked team Virginia Tech has beaten in the history of the program and gave the team its third victory over a nationally-ranked opponent this season. The Hokies had already beaten no. 8 Dayton 2-0 and no. 10 Rutgers 2-1.

Sophomores Dustin Dyer and Peer Rogge provided the heroics on Saturday. At 82:40, with the match tied at 1-1, St. John's was called for a foul just outside its own keeper's box. Virginia Tech was awarded an indirect kick. After Rogge tapped it to his teammate, Dyer sent a shot careening in which escaped Red Storm keeper Bill Gaudette and into the bottom right corner of the net for his first goal of the year. The Hokies held strong for the remaining seven minutes for the win.

St. John's struck first for a 1-0 lead. At 59:03, Sabastian Alvarado-Ralph headed in a shot past Hokie keeper Chase Harrison. Chris Leidner was credited with the assist after Harrison deflected his shot. However, the Hokies answered at 61:57 when Nason got a pass from Greg Roach and sent a perfect cross pass into the box for junior Ken Jonmaire. Jonmaire slapped a shot past Gaudette to tie the match at 1-1. Jonmaire's goal was his fifth of the season, giving him the team-lead.

The Hokies managed 17 shots on the night, and that came against a team leading the BIG EAST in fewest shots allowed. The Red Storm generated 14 shots, including eight on-goal. Harrison stopped seven shots for the Hokies.

Virginia Tech stays at home for its next match, scheduled for Wednesday Oct. 22. Radford visits for the annual "Battle for the New River Rock." Kickoff is scheduled for 6 p.m.