Howe's Goal Sends Hokies Past Flames
Tech uses late goal to win 2-1
October 23, 2004

LYNCHBURG, Va. - Charlie Howe's goal on a penalty kick in the 80th minute gave Virginia Tech a 2-1 win over Liberty Saturday evening in a non-conference contest. With the victory, the Hokies improve to 8-7 on the season, while the Flames fall to 6-9-1.

In the opening minutes of play, Liberty came out as the aggressor, enabling the offense to have three scoring opportunities, including two shots on goal. The Flames' Kyle Cupid drilled a shot from inside the box, but the shot was punched over the goal by Tech's Chase Harrison, forcing a corner kick. Less than seven minutes later, Bobby Dabbs struck a ball from just outside the box, but the shot was corralled by Harrison.

The Hokies' first good scoring opportunity from inside the box came in the 22nd minute of action. Off a corner kick by senior Bailey Allman, Ian Taylor headed the ball to Brent Dillie, where he played the ball just left of the goal. Five minutes later, Cupid put the Flames on top 1-0 when he scored from 10 yards out. Cupid received a pass from Andrew Bradham and put the ball into the lower left corner of the net.

Tech evened the score at the 38:40 plateau, when Ken Jonmaire gained possession of a loose ball from 25 yards out. After gaining control, he blasted a shot to the right corner of the goal for a 1-1 tie. Jonmaire's goal, his first of the season, was the 19th of his career. The goal moved him into a tie for 10th place on the all-time goals scored list at Virginia Tech. He is tied with Tim Berrera and Brian McFarlane.

The first half was fairly even in every category, with Tech leading the way with 10 shots to four by the Flames. The Hokies had four shots on goal to three for the home squad. Liberty's goalkeeper, Kevin Mahan, tallied three saves, while Harrison recorded two for Tech. Both teams were called for offsides once. The Hokies were whistled for six fouls, while the Flames were called for three. Tech totaled two corner kicks in the half to just one for Liberty.

In the second half, the majority of the game was played in the midfield, with neither team giving the opposition a chance to score. For Liberty, two different opportunities were nullified when a player was whistled offsides. The Hokies were called offsides once in the second half.

At the 68:07 mark, Allman blasted a shot from the corner of the box, but it sailed right of the goal. Two minutes later, Hollis Donaldson tried to give the home team the lead, but his shot was wide left. In the 75th minute, Marcus Reed attempted to put the Hokies up 2-1 after receiving the ball in the box, but his shot from just over six yards out was high.

In the 77th minute, the Flames had their best opportunity of the half to take the lead. Off a Cupid corner kick, Dabbs headed the ball toward the goal, only to have the shot go straight to Harrison for the save. At the 78:47 mark, Chad Steuck launched a shot at the goal, only to be blocked by a Liberty defender. The block was ruled a hand ball inside the box, allowing Tech's Howe to take a penalty kick. Howe's shot put the Hokies on top by a 2-1 score. The goal was Howe's first on the season. Solid defense in the final 10 minutes helped prevent the tying goal by the Flames.

For the game, Tech totaled 16 shots to eight for Liberty. The Hokies also tallied six shots on goal to four by the Flames. Mahan amassed four saves on the night, while Harrison recorded three. Tech had five corners to just two for Liberty. The teams combined for 27 fouls and five offsides calls.

The Hokies return home to face Wake Forest on Oct. 26th. Game time is slated for a 7 p.m. start in the Virginia Tech Soccer Stadium.