Men's Soccer Falls to Top Seeded Connecticut in Double Overtime
Hokies play strong in BIG EAST tournament debut
November 11, 2001

The Virginia Tech men's soccer team fell to the Connecticut Huskies in the opening round of the BIG EAST Tournament Sunday in Storrs, Conn. The eighth-seeded Hokies gave it their all, but the Huskies were victorious by the score of 2-1 in double overtime.

Connecticut, the defending national champions, jumped out to a one-goal lead when Anthony Curtis scored at the 31:30 mark. Curtis scored off of a free kick that he blasted from 22-yards out. There was no assist on the play.

Tech would waste no time responding to the Huskie goal. Just over two-minutes later, Uconn's Eric Soares fouled Fred Silva (Sao Paulo, Brazil) just inside the offensive box causing a penalty kick. Silva booted the shot into the lower right section of the goal where the Huskies keeper bobbled it before it went in to tie the game. The goal came at the 33:37 mark in the game and was unassisted.

Both Connecticut and Tech would go on to play 80 minutes of scoreless soccer. Finally in the second overtime period the Huskies would end the game when Jose Sura scored at the 113:42 mark to give Connecticut the 2-1 victory. Sura had the ball just inside the box when he crossed a ball into the center. The ball bounced off the thigh of a Tech player and into the goal.

Colin Kibler (Virginia Beach, Va.) was strong in net for the Hokies. He played the entire game in goal for Tech, collecting seven saves off of 19 Huskie shots. Bryheem Hancock also played the entire game for Connecticut. He produced three saves off nine Hokie shots.

The loss leaves Tech with a final overall record of 11-6-2 and a 4-4-2 mark in the BIG EAST. The Huskies (14-3-2, 9-1) move on the take on the fourth-seeded Rutgers Scarlet Knights Friday at 7 p.m. Connecticut, ranked eighth in the nation, is the host team for the BIG EAST tournament this year.

Kibler ends his career in goal for the Hokies with gaudy statistics. He produced seven shutouts in 2001, which set a new school record. His .90 goals against average this year is also a new school record. Kibler has played a total of 5071 minutes between the pipes in his career which is also a school record along with his 1.26 career-GAA.

Fred Silva closes a successful career at Virginia Tech with a team-leading 30 points in 2001. His nine goals were the most on the team with Bobby O'Brien ( Williamsburg, Va.) coming in a close second with seven goals. Silva's 12 assists were also tops on the team. O'Brien was the team's second-leading scorer with 18 total points (seven goals, four assists) and Ty Enmark (Sterling Heights, Mich.) had 13 points of his own. Enmark excelled in BIG EAST play this year with 11 of his 13 points coming against conference competition. Drew Myers (High Point, N.C.) closes out the scoring leaders with 12 points.

Garrett Owens (San Antonio, Texas) and Jeremy Parsels (Woodbridge, Va.), both constants in the Tech lineup and producers on the field, finished up successful careers as Tech soccer players Sunday. Owens was the Hokies' leader on defense and contributed one goal and two assists from his stopper position. Parsels could always be counted on for offensive support, which was apparent in his 2001 stats. He scored two goals during the year and assisted on another to give him a total of five points. Stephan D'Adamo (Richmond, Va.) closes out the senior class of 2001. D'Adamo turned it on in the latter half of the season despite suffering from injuries. D'Adamo's heady play and blue collar mentality will be sorely missed by the Hokies. He also contributed two assists in 2001.
VIRGINIA TECH   1  0  0  0  -  1
UCONN		         1  0  0  1  -  2

Shots: VT (9), UC (19)
Saves: VT (7), UC (3)
CORNERS: VT (4), UC (7)
Fouls: VT (21), UC (7)
Anthony Curtis (UC), unassisted, 31:30
Fred Silva (VT), unassisted, 33:37
Jose Sura (UC), unassisted, 113:42