Men's Soccer Falls to Old Dominion
Tech drops tough match in closing minutes
November 1, 2000

The Virginia Tech men's soccer team fell to the Old Dominion Monarchs, 4-3, Wednesday afternoon.

The two teams wasted no time getting on the scoreboard. Old Dominion struck first when forward Attila Vendegh scored the first goal when he kicked in a pass from Mabricio Wilson. The goal came at the 4:14 mark in the match. Tech answered quickly when junior Fred Silva (Sao Paulo, Brazil) scored off a crossing pass from freshman Bobby O'Brein (Williamsburg, Va.) The goal made the score 1-1 and came at the 4:54 mark.

Tech and Old Dominion would continue to swap goals. The Monarchs retaliated when Phil Coates sent a long ball that found Jared Kent wide open in the goalie box. Kent proceeded to score and put Old Dominion up 2-1. The goal came at the 9:36 mark in the match. The Hokies would once again waste no time tying the match. Junior Jeremy Parsels (Woodbridge, Va.) collected a pass from Silva and made a nice 25-yard run before knocking a shot by Monarch goalkeeper Sam Cameron. The Hokies second goal of the day came at the 15:06 mark in the match.

The Monarchs took the lead again when Vendegh scored on a pass from Carlos Mendes. The goal came at the 21:28 mark in the match and closed out the scoring in the half.

The scoring would relax a little in the second half until Tech sophomore Drew Myers (High Point, N.C.) took a pass from freshman Karl Schlegel (Indianapolis, Ind.) and knocked the ball into the corner of the net. The score tied the game at three goals apiece and came at the 56:378 mark in the match.

After swapping goals the entire match, the Monarchs struck last when they scored at the 86:26 mark. The Hokies had been playing a man down since the 74:48 mark because mid-fielder Michael DeTomo (Mandeville, La.) had been issued two yellow cards and was forced to leave the field. The Monarchs took advantage of this when Chad Denton chipped a crossing pass to Mendes who headed it to Vendegh. Vendegh proceeded to knock the ball in past the goalkeeper. The final goal of the match gave Old Dominion a 4-3 victory.

Two goalkeepers split time in goal for the Hokies. Junior Colin Kibler (Virginia Beach, Va.) played the first half for the Hokies. Kibler collected two saves on six Monarch shots and allowed three goals. Senior Ben Pinkerton (Blacksburg, Va.) played the entire second for the Hokies. He totaled four saves on 14 Old Dominion shots and allowed one goal. Cameron played the entire match in goal for the Monarchs. He tallied one save on seven Hokie shots and allowed three goals.

The loss drops Tech to 6-9-2 on the year with just two matches remaining. The Hokies will be back in action Sunday when they travel to play Gardner-Webb.

VIRGINIA TECH   2   1   -   3
ODU             3   1   -   4

Shots: 7 VT, 20 ODU
Corners: 2 VT, 10 ODU
Saves: 6 VT, 1 ODU
Fouls: 20 VT, ODU 20