Hokies Advance To NCAA Second Round
Hokies tie Clemson 3-3 in double overtime, win shootout 6-5
November 21, 2003

BLACKSBURG, Va. - Playing at home in their first-ever NCAA Tournament match, the Virginia Tech men's soccer team, ignited by a record crowd of 2,263, advanced to the second round by defeating visiting Clemson 6-5 in penalty kicks. The match ended in a 3-3 tie after double overtime, but the Hokies converted their final PK attempt to set up a second round match at ninth-seed Virginia Commonwealth on Wednesday night.

With the match counting as a tie, the Hokies' record stands at 14-4-3, while Clemson concluded its season 9-7-4. Virginia Tech senior Bobby O'Brien ignited the Hokies with three goals, including two penalty kicks in regulation, as he upped his season total to 14 goals and 28 for his career to move into sixth place in career goals. O'Brien became just the third player to register a hat trick against Clemson in the history of the Tigers' program.

Fueled by emotion and a raucous atmosphere, the Hokies jumped on top 1-0 at 20:44 as Clemson goalkeeper Phil Marfuggi was called for a foul. The call set up a penalty kick by O'Brien, who sent it to the back of the net for his third successful PK try of the season. The Hokies could not hold onto the lead into halftime however, as Clemson's Kenny Cutler chipped in a shot from the right side at 42:28 to knot the score at 1-1.

In the second half, O'Brien tallied his second goal on another penalty kick at 54:32. The 2-1 lead was short-lived as Tiger Justin Moore netted a penalty kick of his own at 56:11 to tie the match at 2-2. O'Brien then scored the hat trick just a minute later, at 57:32, as he smashed in a free kick from sophomore Charlie Howe. For Howe, it was his sixth assist of the year and ninth of his two-year career. The Tigers stormed back, however, as Paul Souders brought the match to a 3-3 stalemate with a goal at 68:25.

The teams battled scoreless for the next 42 minutes, including two overtimes. The Hokies held off a furious Tiger rally in the second overtime as Clemson managed five shots. Harrison held the game scoreless though, as he made nine saves during the match.

In the shootout, both teams were successful on their first five attempts. On Clemson's sixth shot, Harrison thwarted the attempt, leaving sophomore Dustin Dyer with a chance to win the shootout. Dyer's goal sent the team and the crowd into a fevered frenzy.

The Hokies will face VCU in Richmond, Va., on Wednesday, Nov. 26, with kickoff slated for 7 p.m. The winner of that match will advance to the third round.