Hokies Extinguish Flames, 7-1
Virginia Tech scores seven goals in the second half
November 4, 2003

BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech men's soccer team shook off a slow first half start Tuesday night to score seven goals in the second half en route to a 7-1 win over the visiting Liberty Flames in the Hokies' regular season finale. It was the third time in the last five matches the Hokies managed to score four or more goals in the second half.

With the win the 23rd-ranked Hokies improved to 14-4-1, tying the 1997 team for the most wins in a season. The Flames fell to 7-7-1.

The Hokies actually outshot the Flames 18-3 in the first half, but Liberty put the only goal on the scoreboard in the 27th minute. David Guinn slammed a shot to the back of the net after a pass across the box from Marko Parenta to give Liberty a 1-0 lead.

In the second half, the momentum changed at 51:21 as the Hokies netted their first goal. On an indirect kick, the Flame defensive wall blocked sophomore Dustin Dyer's shot. However, the official ruled that Liberty had broken the wall too early and awarded the Hokies another kick. This time, freshman Brent Dillie tapped it to Dyer, and he scored his second goal of the season. From that point on, the Hokies never let up.

At 59:42, freshman Scott Spangler gave the hosts a 2-1 lead with his sixth career goal off assists by sophomore Charlie Howe and junior Ken Jonmaire. Senior Bobby O'Brien tallied his team-leading 10th goal at 62:42 after a pass over the defense from Howe. O'Brien flicked a shot past Flame keeper Kevin Mahan on the left side of the keeper's box. Freshman Ben Nason made it 4-1 at 76:10 with his third career goal. Nason dribbled around the Flame defense and blasted a shot past Mahan. Junior Bailey Allman netted his third goal of the year at 82:15, while sophomore Peer Rogge notched his fifth at 88:19 to make it 6-1. Freshman Mohamed Said scored his first career goal at 88:58 to end the scoring barrage.

The seven goals gave the Hokies 45 for the season, just one short of a team record set in 1993 and 1997. For the match, the Hokies managed a season-high 34 shots while holding Liberty to just one shot-on-goal and seven total shots. Hokie keeper Chase Harrison played 84 minutes before giving way to junior keeper Jeff Graham for the final six. Neither Hokie keeper was forced to make a save.

The Hokies now turn their full attention to the postseason. The Hokies, seeded second in the BIG EAST tournament, will host the seventh-seeded Providence Friars on Sunday, Nov. 9 at 1 p.m. The winner will advance to the semifinals on Friday, Nov. 14 in Storrs, Conn.