Hokies Tie No. 7 Blue Devils, 2-2
Magnus Einarsson scores first career goal for Tech
September 20, 2005

Box Score Hokies 2, Blue Devils 2 (2 OT)
BLACKSBURG, Va. - The Virginia Tech men's soccer team tied No. 7 Duke Tuesday evening, 2-2, in front of 1,421 fans at the Virginia Tech Soccer Stadium.

The Hokies now stand at 1-2-3 overall and 0-0-2 in Atlantic Coast Conference play. The Blue Devils are now 4-1-1 on the season and 1-0-1 in league competition.

Tech senior midfielder/forward Magnus Einarsson knotted the game, 1-1, at the 63:23 mark on a penalty kick. Freshman Alexander Baden was fouled in the box and Einarsson beat Duke goalie Justin Papadakis for the score.

In the 78th minute, the Hokies took a 2-1 lead after the ball was played back by a Duke midfielder to a defender, who headed it over Papadakis' head, hitting the post and crossing the end line for an own goal.

However, the lead would not stand as the Blue Devils would get the equalizer with 1:31 to play. Chris Loftus received the ball in the box and headed it past Tech's senior goalkeeper, Chase Harrison, for the 2-2 tie.

The Hokies tallied three shots in the two overtime periods, but could not break the tie as Duke's defense, playing a man down for the final 27:10 of the game due to a red card, thwarted every attempt.

Although the Blue Devils out-shot the Hokies 15-11 for the game, Tech pressured the Duke defense on numerous occasions, creating several scoring chances. Part of that was due to the play of freshman Patrick Nyarko, who was playing in his first collegiate contest.

"Patrick gives us another good player on the field and gives us confidence," head coach Oliver Weiss said. "He helps break things down and create chances."

The Blue Devils' Blake Camp netted his first goal of the season, giving the visitors a quick 1-0 lead in the third minute of action. Camp received a cross from Mike Grella and one-timed it near post, beating Harrison.

Harrison tallied five saves in goal while Papadakis tallied three for Duke.

For Tech, it is the third consecutive tie of the season and fourth straight double-overtime contest.

"We are playing tougher teams now, good teams," Weiss said. "We played hard tonight. We just need to make good decisions in critical situations.

"Overall, it was a terrific effort from our players."

The Hokies will travel to No. 14 Wake Forest on Friday night for an ACC match-up. Game-time is slated for a 7 p.m. start.