Tech falls at Richmond 3-2 in overtime
Hokies force extra session with goal in 90th minute
September 20, 2006

Box Score Richmond 3, VT 2 (ot)
RICHMOND, Va. - Senior Eric Vickers scored the game-tying goal in the 90th minute to force overtime, but it was the Richmond Spiders that would go on to win 3-2 in the extra session over the Virginia Tech men's soccer team Tuesday night at VCU's Sports Backers Stadium.

"We deserved to lose," Tech head coach Oliver Weiss said matter-of-factly after the game. "We played poorly tonight. We were not sharp, and we didn't force the issue when we had chances."

It was a tale of two halves in regulation for the Hokies (4-3-1, 0-2-1 ACC) and the Spiders (3-4-2, 0-0-0 A10). A slow-paced first half featured just four shots, one shot on goal and one corner kick for each team. The intermission score read 1-0 in Richmond's favor, however, after Fynn Glover fired a shot in the 41st minute into the upper-left corner for his first-career score.

"Richmond deservingly won the game tonight," Weiss said of his alma mater, for whom he starred from 1984-87 as a three-year captain. "They had great enthusiasm in their play and had some great goals scored."

The No. 16 Hokies turned up the heat in the second stanza, however, racking up 14 shots and a pair of spectacular goals.

Senior Chad Steuck headed a try just wide in the 55th minute before fellow senior Brad Collins hit the crossbar in the 61st.

Collins would capitalize on his second chance, however, when he put home his first career goal as a Hokie in the 65th minute. Junior Patrick Nyarko attempted a shot from the left side of the goal that caromed off the crossbar and ping-ponged around the box until Collins bicycle-kicked it in to tie the game at one apiece.

"We had people score tonight who normally don't score," Weiss analyzed. "That's just an example of players who should be doing the scoring not being sharp. It came back to haunt us just like against Wake Forest. We need to go back to the drawing board and make some changes."

Richmond went back on top in the 76th minute when Anders Walleck came out of nowhere to let fly a 30-yard shot from the left side. The try got past Tech goalkeeper Brendan Dunn, who made just one save on the night.

The Hokies cranked up the pressure once more, narrowly missing on numerous chances including a Ben Nason shot that ricocheted off the post in the 85th minute.

Tech persisted, though, and managed to lock up the score at two with just 41 seconds remaining in regulation. The equalizer came when Nyarko drove to the left endline and crossed a pass to Vickers. The midfielder from Fort Worth, Texas, controlled it, spun and fired in his fourth goal of the season, which is a new career high. It was Nyarko's second helper of the year.

"In the end of regulation," Weiss said, "We just pushed and did everything we had to do, but it was difficult when you have a team like Richmond who defends well with six to nine people behind the ball."

Although the goal sent the Hokies to their third overtime session in the last four games, Tech's new life didn't long. Richmond's Scott Loesser left-footed home the Spiders' decisive third score at 92:06 to send the Hokies back to Blacksburg winless in their last four contests.

"We give people chances too easily, and we have to learn from that," Weiss concluded. "We've got to hold people responsible every moment of the game to make the right decisions."

Tech returns to action Friday night at 7 p.m. when they host the Keydets of VMI at the Virginia Tech Soccer Stadium.