Hokies escape with 1-0 win at Radford
Brutus nets game-winner in 89th minute
October 3, 2006

Box Score VT 1, Radford 0
RADFORD, Va. - Thanks to an 89th-minute goal by freshman Craig Brutus, the Virginia Tech men's soccer team survived a scare from Radford Tuesday night and escaped with a 1-0 non-conference road win.

"We got a little lucky tonight," Weiss said after the game. "Radford deserved at least a tie tonight, because they were fighting for the ball more and winning more balls. But that's all part of the game."

Brutus headed home the game-winner from the middle of the box after senior Brent Dillie delivered a deep pass from the midfield line. The late score propelled the Hokies to 6-4-1 overall, while the Highlanders fall to 5-5-1.

"I think that says a lot about our depth," Weiss said of Brutus' goal. "A lot of starters tonight just had an 'off' game, but hopefully this is a sign that we can come together in October.

The game looked like it was headed towards overtime until there was 1:36 remaining on the clock, when Dillie sent the long, arching pass from just past midfield. It took a favorable bounce off the turf right to the forehead of Brutus' 6'2'' frame, and he headed it in for his first career goal. It was the first assist of the season for Dillie.

Opportunities came few and far between for both teams in a scoreless first half, although Tech earned six corner kicks to Radford's zero.

The Hokies' best chance of the first stanza came in the 15th minute, when they unleashed three shots in a row following a Charlie Campbell corner kick. Two Tech shots were turned away by Radford goalkeeper Zach Roszel, who sent a rebound to senior Charlie Howe, but he couldn't get a solid touch and his shot sailed wide.

The Highlanders' nearly made it one to nil in the 22nd minute, but Tech's junior goalkeeper, Drew Czekanski, denied a pair of consecutive shots from point blank range for two of his six saves on the night.

"I was glad I picked him [Czekanski] tonight," Weiss joked in regards to his platoon at goalkeeper. "It's Russian roulette sometimes, but tonight we picked the right guy, and he deserves a chance to get in there this weekend [against N.C. State]."

The second half played out in similar fashion to the first, with both teams trading possessions as the clock ticked away. The Hokies had a chance in the 55th minute when Campbell sent a pass to a streaking Howe, who chested it down on the run and fired a chance just over the crossbar.

"I give my team credit for being patient and weathering the storm," Weiss added. "This was a Radford team that was unbelievable tonight, but we hung in there and pushed a little harder."

Tuesday's game marked the 31st meeting all-time between the two nearby schools since the rivalry began in 1975. The winner of the annual match gains possession of the New River Rock trophy, a rock that was pulled from the nearby New River by former Radford coach Don Staley and former Tech coach Jerry Cheynet to use as a symbol of collegiate soccer supremacy in the New River Valley.

The Hokies' next action comes on Sunday when they travel to N.C. State at 2 p.m. in search of their first ACC win of the season.