No. 9 Hokies come back to tie No. 1 Wake Forest, 3-3
Edmans tallies two second-half goals
October 5, 2007

Box Score No. 9 Virginia Tech 3, No. 1 Wake Forest 3 (2 OT)
BLACKSBURG, Va. - Thanks to a pair of second-half goals by junior forward Robert Edmans, the No. 9 Virginia Tech men's soccer team extended its unbeaten streak to nine matches by tying No. 1 Wake Forest, 3-3, in front of 2,413 fans at Tech Soccer Stadium on Friday night.

Down 2-0 after the first 45 minutes, the Hokies (6-1-3, 1-0-2 ACC) scored three of the next four goals to earn their third tie of the season in front of the second-largest crowd in Tech Soccer Stadium history.

Tech has not lost a match since Aug. 31 and its current run is the second-longest unbeaten stretch in school history. The Hokies are now just one match short of tying the school record of the 2005 team that went unbeaten in 10 consecutive matches from Sept. 27 to Oct. 29.

In only 55 minutes on the pitch, Edmans scored his second and third goals of the season. He leads the team with 10 points and is tied with Patrick Nyarko for second place on the team in goals with three apiece through the season's first 10 matches.

The Demon Deacons opened the scoring in the first half with a pair of goals within the first 35 minutes of the match. Sam Cronin struck first by converting his first goal of the season off a 25-yard cross from Lyle Adams.

Wake Forest (7-0-2, 2-0-1 ACC) built on their advantage when Corben Bone scored his fifth goal of the year less than eight minutes later to give the Demon Deacons a 2-0 advantage at 33:34.

Edmans came onto the pitch in the second half and made a difference early. The 6-6 forward from England possessed a Brent Hooper cross from five yards out and delivered a shot to the opposite post just 1:02 into the second half.

Wake Forest earned a free kick near the Virginia Tech net and just 20 yards out. Sam Cronin found the rebounded attempt that gave the Demon Deacons the lead again at 3-2.

Edmans responded again for Tech at 73:45 when he teamed with Nyarko for the Hokies' second goal of the night. Nyarko dribbled into the corner and delivered a high cross that Edmans headed into the center of the net for his third goal of the season.

Still trailing 3-2 late in the match, Nyarko took matters into his own hands and scored the equalizing goal with just 4:43 remaining in regulation. Senior defender Marcus Reed delivered a cross 25 yards out from the corner where Nyarko leaped and headed in the final score of the match. The junior from Ghana scored the 27th goal of his 45-match career and is just one goal shy of tying for eighth place on the school's all-time list.

The Hokies turned away all four Wake Forest shot attempts in the two overtime sessions. Junior goalkeeper Markus Aigner made five saves in his third consecutive start and moved to 1-0-3 in net for Tech this season.

Tech plays on the road against VMI at 4 p.m. on Tuesday.