September 21, 2008
The Hokies drop second match of ACC play to Clemson, 3-2
Dunn scores first goal of career in conference match
Virginia Tech (2-4-1) 11002
Clemson (2-4-1) 11013
  • Doug Kingsmore Stad. - 720

CLEMSON, S.C.The Virginia Tech men’s soccer team dropped its second ACC match of the season 3-2 at Clemson Sunday afternoon. The Hokies are 2-4-1 in regular season play and 0-2-0 in conference matches. Junior Brendan Dunn scored the first goal of his college career, while classmate and fellow net minder Stefan Caulfield registered his first start in conference play between the pipes for the Hokies, making five saves.

“It’s a tough way to lose a game,” said head coach Oliver Weiss. “The team played well and showed great poise to come back from a 2-1 deficit. We are going to keep working hard until we get it right as a team.”

Tech scored the first goal of the match early in the first half. Junior James Gilson ripped a shot for his first goal of the season the seventh minute of play. Gilson received a pass from sophomore Clarke Bentley to give the Hokies the 1-0 advantage.

The Tigers tied the game in the 43rd minute when junior Hassam Ibrahim netted his first goal of the season for the Tigers. Classmate David Newton tallied the assist on the goal to tie the game at the half 1-1.

At the half the Hokies held a 5-4 advantage in shots, while Clemson led 2-1 in corners.

The Tigers took a 2-1 lead in the second half of play. Clemson freshman Nick Burton scored his first collegiate goal in the 82nd minute, off a pass from teammate Riley Sumpter.

The Hokies netted the equalizer nearly two minutes later when Dunn, one of the Hokies’ goalkeepers, scored his first goal for Tech. Sophomore Craig Burnell registered the assist on the goal for his first point of the season, to tie the game 2-2.

Tech registered eight shots in the second half to close out regulation and took two corner kicks, while Clemson took nine shots and were awarded three corners.

In the extra period both teams battled back and fourth to close out the first overtime knotted up 2-2. Clemson ended the match in the 102nd minute of play when senior Bryson Moore assisted on Ibrahim’s second goal of the game.

Bentley, Dunn, and Gilson tallied three shots each to lead the offensive surge for Tech. The Hokies closed out the match with 16 shots and five corner kicks.

Next up the Hokies will take host in-state rival and ACC foe Virginia at the Sandra D. Thompson Soccer Field on Friday, Sept. 26 at 7 p.m.

For updates on Virginia Tech men's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MSoccer).

HokieSports Shop