September 30, 2008
Gilson nets penalty kick to lead Tech past Colonials 2-1
Hokies snap four game losing streak
George Washington (4-3-1) 011
Virginia Tech (3-5-1) 112
  • Thompson Field - 411

BLACKSBURG, Va.The Virginia Tech (3-5-1) men’s soccer team captured their third win of the season, 2-1 over George Washington (4-3-1) on Tuesday night. Junior James Gilson netted the game-winner off a penalty kick in the 88th minute. Meanwhile, junior goalkeeper Stefan Caulfield captured his second win of the season, making seven saves in the match.

“We need to do things more consistently,” said head coach Oliver Weiss. “Getting the penalty kick definitely helped us score our second goal. Maybe with this win it will help us get going in the right direction.”

The Hokies notched the first goal late in the first half. Freshman Emmanuel Akogyeram cut to the net where junior Brendan Dunn hit his teammate in stride. The Ghana native gathered the pass and fired a shot that hit the top post to beat Colonial goalkeeper Matt Scheer, giving Tech a 1-0 lead. Scheer made four saves in the match for George Washington.

Tech held a slight advantage in both shots and corner kicks, edging the Colonials 6-5 and 2-1, respectively at the half.

At the start of the second period, the two teams had multiple scoring opportunities. Sophomore Craig Burnell made a stellar save in the 71st minute of play. Hokie net minder Caulfield stepped off his back line to gather a George Washington shot. Colonial senior Dave Leon poked a slow rolling ball past the Caulfield. It was then Burnell came from his right defensive position to slide tackle the ball away, keeping George Washington off the scoreboard.

The Colonials came back five minutes later, netting the equalizer in the 76th minute. Red-shirt junior Mike Rollings stole the ball in the Hokies defensive area and fired a shot past Caulfield to tie the game, 1-1.

The Hokies had the final scoring opportunity of the match, when Akogyeram broke free past the Colonial defense. The freshman was then taken out from behind in the keepers’ box and the Hokies were awarded a penalty kick. Gilson was asked to take the free kick and made the best of the opportunity, firing the ball to the right side of the net to give the Hokies a 2-1 win. With the win, the Hokies snap a four game losing streak.

Tech ended the match with 11 shots to the Colonials 12 and garnered more corner kicks 7-4.

The Hokies will get back into conference play when they travel to take on defending national champions and No. 1 ranked Wake Forest on October 4 at 7 p.m.

For updates on Virginia Tech men's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MSoccer).

HokieSports Shop