October 7, 2008
Cheatham lifts Hokies past Highlanders in non-conference battle
Tech captures fourth win of the season
Radford (6-4-1) 000
Virginia Tech (4-6-1) 011
  • Thompson Field - 642

BLACKSBURG, Va.Freshman Hunter Cheatham scored in the final minute of play to lead the Virginia Tech Hokies (4-6-1, 0-4-0) to a 1-0 victory over in-state rival Radford (6-4-1, 2-1-0). Fellow freshman Thomas St. Germain started his first match in net for the Hokies and recorded his first win along with Tech’s first shutout this season.

“I think it was a fun and exciting game,” said head coach Oliver Weiss. “We played well and we got better throughout the match and into the second half. Our young guys we played tonight worked hard and gave a great effort.”

In the first half the teams played to a 0-0 tie. Radford held an 8-4 edge in shots and a 5-1 advantage in corner kicks. St. Germain was challenged by the Highlander offense and made five saves in the half. Radford freshman, who also was making his first start of his young career, stopped three Hokie scoring chances. The best Tech scoring opportunity in the half came when freshman Michael Breske sprinted down the right side of the pitch and fired a shot inside the box that was saved by Radford’s Taylor.

The second half Tech began to pick up the offensive attack to change the outcome in the final minute of play. The Hokies pressured the Highlanders, nearly missing on multiple chances. In the 65th minute of play, sophomore Clarke Bentley crossed a ball from the left side of the field to his senior teammate Scott Dillie who received the long ball at the right near post, where Dillie headed the ball slightly wide of the net. With time running out in the contest senior Taylor Walsh gathered a long rebound from about 35 yards out. Walsh, who made his career start at Tech, fired a shot that was knocked away by Highlander goalkeeper Taylor.

The Hokies final chance to score came off a cross from Bentley on the left side of the field. The ball was sent in to a crowd of players inside the box. Cheatham gathered the ball and finished the job, ripping a shot to the left side of the net for the game-winning goal in the 90th minute.

In the end, Radford held a 14-11 shot advantage while Tech was awarded seven corners, six coming in the second half.

Between the pipes for the Hokies St. Germain played the entire match and made seven saves, while his counterpart Taylor had six stops in the contest and played the full 90 minutes, as well.

Tech will get back into ACC play against Maryland on Friday Oct. 10 at Sandra D. Thompson Field at 7:00 p.m. The Hokies will be looking for their first win in conference action.

For updates on Virginia Tech men's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MSoccer).

HokieSports Shop