October 21, 2008
Tech falls to Appalachian State in non-conference battle
Akogyeram nets his sixth goal of the season
Appalachian State (8-7-0) 112
Virginia Tech (5-9-1) 011
  • Thompson Field - 381

BLACKSBURG, Va.The Virginia Tech (5-9-1, 0-6-0) men’s soccer team dropped a 2-1 decision to the Mountaineers of Appalachian State (8-7-0, 2-3-0) on Tuesday night at Sandra D. Thompson field. Freshman Emmanuel Akogyeram netted his sixth goal of the season for the Hokies while junior Stefan Caulfield made his sixth start in net for Tech.

“We need to capitalize on our scoring chances,” said head coach Oliver Weiss. “I feel the team put in a solid effort, but when you take 28 shots in the match you need to produce more than one goal.”

The Mountaineers got on the board early in the first period, taking a 1-0 lead. In the 10th minute of play Appalachian State was awarded a free kick outside the box. Senior Juan Obregon fired a shot after teammate and fellow senior J.T. LaBruyere made the initial contact with the ball on the indirect kick. Obregon’s shot sailed past Caulfield to the back of the net, giving the opposition the early advantage.

At the half Tech held an 11-2 shot advantage and tallied six corner kicks to the Mountaineers one. The Hokies best opportunity to score in the half came in the 14th minute of play. Three Tech players that include junior Brendan Dunn, senior Taylor Walsh and freshman Hunter Cheatham each had chances to score in the sequence. Dunn and Walsh had shots that were blocked, while Cheatham fired the ball over the net to end the play.

In the second half the teams came out evenly matched until the Hokies found the net in the 86th minute, to tie the game 1-1. Tech was awarded a throw in on the right side of the field. Dunn took advantage of the opportunity and threw the ball inside the Mountaineer box and found Akogyeram waiting. The freshman slipped the ball past Appalachian State freshman goalkeeper Collin Taylor for the equalizer. Taylor had 10 saves in the match for the Mountaineers.

Tech had another opportunity soon after, off one of the 10 corner kicks awarded to the Hokies. Junior James Gilson lofted the ball inside the Appalachian State box that found sophomore Clarke Bentley, who headed the ball slightly wide of the net.

Meanwhile, Appalachian State came back to score the game-winner in the 89th minute of play. Obregon was at the top of the Hokie box as a loss ball came threw. The senior sprinted toward a loss ball and beat Caulfield, who made an attempt to gather the ball in the area, scoring for the second time in the match and gave Appalachian State the 2-1 victory. Caulfield made two saves for the Hokies, while the loss snapped a three-game win streak in non-conference matches.

Next up for the Hokies is an out-of-conference battle at High Point. The match will be played on Oct. 25 at 7:00 p.m.

For updates on Virginia Tech men's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MSoccer).

HokieSports Shop