September 13, 2009
Late comeback earns Tech a 1-1 tie in double overtime
Senior Alexander Baden scored with just over a minute left to send the game into overtime.

BLACKSBURG, Va. – Senior co-captain Alexander Baden scored his first goal of the season with 1:13 left in the second half to send the game into overtime, and eventually help the Hokies (1-2-2) to a 1-1 tie with the East Tennessee Bucs (1-1-2) on Sunday night at Thompson Field. The double-overtime match was the second of the season for Tech.

The Bucs got on the board in the seventh minute of play, as a Hokie foul in the box led to an ETSU penalty kick. Brendan Dunn recorded the save on the kick, but the ball was deflected within the box and last touched by a Hokie defender, leading to an unfortunate own goal for Tech and giving the Bucs a 1-0 advantage.

The rest of the first half remained fairly even as Tech recorded four shots compared to the Bucs’ six. The Hokies saw a close call with 11 minutes left to play. An ETSU foul led to a free kick for Tech from 25 yards out. James Gilson crossed the ball to sophomore Emmanuel Akogyeram, who headed it on goal, but the shot was saved by Bucs goalkeeper Scott Rosman. James Shupp then grabbed the loose ball, but his shot went just wide.

The Bucs then saw a similar situation themselves with a free kick from just outside the box, where Dunn made an excellent save to keep Tech in the game, punching it over the crossbar.

The Hokies continued to battle with time running out. Charlie Campbell’s turn-around shot went just right of the goalpost with less than two minutes left to play. Only seconds later, with 1:13 left in the game, Campbell placed a perfect cross to Baden in the box, who headed it into the right corner of the neck and evened the score at 1, sending the game into overtime. The tying goal marked Baden’s first score of the season.

The first 10 minutes of extra play saw three Bucs shots and one Hokie shot. Tech had opportunities to score and seal the game in both extra periods, but was unable to capitalize on them. After two scoreless double-overtime periods, the game ended in a 1-1 tie.

“I was disappointed in the way that we started the game but I’m proud of the boys for coming back and fighting hard,” Tech head coach Mike Brizendine said. “We played two tough games over the weekend and I was pleased in the way we came back tonight. I thought ETSU played a well-fought game.”

Dunn collected four saves on the night as Tech outshot the Bucs 18-12.

The Hokies will open up conference play when they return to action on Sunday, Sept. 20, for a 3 p.m. road battle against the Clemson Tigers. They will return to Thompson Field on Wednesday, Sept 23, to take on American University at 7 p.m.

For updates on Virginia Tech men's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MSoccer).

HokieSports Shop