October 2, 2009
Wake hands Tech first ACC loss
Deacons tally five goals to beat Tech, 5-1
(3) Wake Forest (6-2-1 (2-1-0)) 235
Virginia Tech (3-4-2 (2-1-0)) 011
  • Thompson Field - 1,579

BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Wake Forest Demon Deacons scored two goals in the first 12 minutes and added three more in the second stanza to defeat the Hokies, 5-1, at Thompson Field on Friday night. Clarke Bentley scored the Hokies’ only goal.

The Deacons (6-2-1, 2-1-0) dominated play throughout the first half, outshooting Virginia Tech (3-4-2, 2-1-0), 7-1, and never looking back. Wake’s offense took advantage of a Hokie defensive error and converted it into an early goal in the fifth minute of play. Andy Lubahn notched his third score of the season with assists from Zack Schilawski and Sam Redmond on the play to give the Deacons an early 1-0 lead.

Wake then added a second goal only minutes later, as the Deacon offense garnered its fourth corner kick in the first 11 minutes. Austin da Luz’s kick found Kyle Adams in the box, who headed the pass into the lower left corner of the net to give Wake a two-goal advantage. The goal was Adam’s first of the season.

Brendan Dunn prevented any further damage in the half, making a critical save with less than two minutes remaining off a Wake Forest free kick just outside the box. Dunn’s save kept the score at 2-0 leading into the second period.

However, again the Deacons would waste no time generating offense in the second half, scoring their third goal within the first two minutes of play. Schilawski, who had already tallied an assist on the night, headed a pass from Corben Bone, finding the back of the net and marking his second score of the season.

Schilawski would add two more goals in the half, one unassisted and the other off a penalty kick, in the 58th and 69th minute, respectively. He finished the night with a hat trick and an assist.

Clarke Bentley put the Hokies on the board in the 62nd minute to make the score 4-1, tallying his second goal of the season. Bentley perfectly placed a shot from the far right wing into the upper left corner of the net beyond the reach of goalkeeper Michael Lisch to prevent the shutout loss.

The Deacons outshot the Hokies, 16-5. Emmanuel Akogyeram led all Tech players with three shots.

Brendan Dunn collected two saves, while Stefan Caulfield saw his first action of the season, subbing in for Dunn mid-way through the second half. Caulfield allowed just one goal on Schilawski’s penalty kick.

The Hokies will hit the road next week for two away games, first traveling to Radford on Oct. 6 for a non-conference match-up, and then heading to College Park, Md., to take on the No 2. Terrapins on Oct. 9 in an ACC contest.

For updates on Virginia Tech men's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MSoccer).

HokieSports Shop