October 6, 2009
Radford upsets Tech, 3-1
The Highlanders score three second-half goals to upend the Hokies
Virginia Tech (3-5-2) 101
Radford (3-5-1) 033
  • Cupp Stadium - 2,000

RADFORD, Va. – An aggressive Radford offense upset the Virginia Tech men’s soccer team on Tuesday night, 3-1, scoring three second half goals in a non-conference New River Valley battle at Cupp Stadium. The victory marked the first time the Highlanders have defeated the Hokies since 2002.

The Hokies (3-5-2) dominated possession from the kickoff and controlled the ball for the majority of the first half. Tech made a statement early, earning a quick shot in the first minute of play from freshman Gregory Cochrane that soared wide. The Hokies then added two more shots within the first five minutes and finished the half with six attempts.

Tech was first to get on the scoreboard in the 36th minute thanks to a spectacular defensive play. Senior Alexander Baden stopped a Radford offensive attack to set up the Hokies’ scoring opportunity, stealing the ball and blasting it up the field. Albert Alwang gathered it and crossed the ball in front of the net, where Radford’s goalie Ryan Taylor deflected it. Emmanuel Akogyeram handled the rebound and sent it to the back of the goal to earn his third score of the season and give Tech the 1-0 advantage, which would stand for the remainder of the half.

Radford’s offense came out aggressive in the second stanza, evening the score in just the 10th minute of play. Freshman James Jordan blasted a hard shot from nearly 30 yards out on the right wing that reached the top left corner of the net, just out of keeper Brendan Dunn’s reach. The goal was Jordan’s second of the season.

Radford chased their first goal with a string of attacks, seeing an open net on a few different occasions, but the Hokie defense recorded several game-saving blocks to protect the open goal. The Highlanders remained persistent and eventually took the lead in the 77th minute. Mike Handlin’s initial shot was saved by Dunn, but a relentless Radford offense continued to generate shooting attacks. James Leith gathered a loose ball that had been deflected by a Hokie defender and snuck it past Dunn to give Radford a 2-1 lead.

The Highlanders would then add an insurance goal with six minutes left to play to seal the game. Aldo Macias made a run along the right plank and netted a shot from inside the box to give Radford the 3-1 lead and notch his first score of the season.

The Hokies had their close scoring chances throughout the second half, as senior co-captain James Gilson reached a one-on-one situation with Taylor, but sent the ball into the side netting. In the same attack, Taylor also saved shots from Charlie Campbell, Cochrane and Akogyeram.

Tech tried to regroup through the final minutes of play, scoring a goal that was eventually reversed on an off sides call, and earning a corner kick in the 89th minute, but couldn’t gather anything more.

Radford outshot Tech, 18-15, in the game, while Tech led in corners, 10-9. Radford advanced to 3-5-1 on the season with the win.

The Hokies will return to ACC play on Friday, traveling to College Park, Md., to take on the Terrapins at 8 p.m. They will then return home to Thompson Field on Tuesday, Oct. 13, to host the nation’s top-ranked team, Akron. Results will be available at www.hokiesports.com.

For updates on Virginia Tech men's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MSoccer).

HokieSports Shop