October 20, 2009
Hokies take thrilling 1-0 victory in final seconds over previously-ranked Davidson
Pressure from Hokie offense pays off in final seconds.

BLACKSBURG, Va. – The Virginia Tech Hokies scored with 35 seconds remaining in regulation time off a corner kick to secure a 1-0 victory over the previously-ranked No. 21 Davidson Wildcats on Tuesday night at Thompson Field.

The goal marked the second last-minute score of the season for Tech at Thompson Field. The last time they scored in a thrilling fashion was against ETSU to send the game to overtime and eventually battle to a 1-1 tie. The win breaks a five-game losing streak for Tech.

“I was very happy with the effort we put forth tonight,” said Tech’s head coach Mike Brizendine. “We are happy anytime we can get the result we did, as well as a shutout against a very good Davidson team. We didn’t give up and it finally paid off for us. Our offense was powerful all night, we just didn’t find the holes until the last play.”

The Hokies (4-8-2) maintained possession throughout most of the first half, producing six of the game’s first eight shots. Brendan Dunn’s shot missed the right post by inches, while Charlie Campbell fired two shots from beyond the 30 yard marker that sailed just high. Campbell continued to attack throughout the half, recording five of the Hokies’ eight shots in the period.

The Wildcats (10-4-2), who were ranked No. 21 last week, couldn’t seem to find their rhythm and had trouble penetrating the Hokies’ defense all night, collecting only four shots through the first stanza.

Davidson came more alive in the second half, primarily the final 20 minutes, recording three-straight shots that were saved by Stefan Caulfield. Caulfield shut down their best scoring opportunity, as he aggressively left the goal to come out and play an attempt from Charlie Reiter, blocking the kick and earning a crucial save to keep the Wildcats’ scoreless.

Tech made their solid play worthwhile in the final play of the game. In a game that looked like it was heading to overtime, the Hokies capitalized on their last corner and final scoring opportunity with less than a minute left in regulation. Campbell took the Hokies’ 11th and final corner kick with 52 seconds left. Alexander Baden got the first touch to keep the ball in the box and keep spirits alive. With the Hokies applying non-stop pressure, the ball was last deflected by a Davidson defender with 35 seconds remaining, giving the Hokies the 1-0 victory.

Campbell paced the Hokies with five shots. Tech finished with 12 shots on the night, while Davidson collected eight. Caulfield recorded three saves and posted his first shutout of the season. The Hokies also earned the advantage in corner kicks, 11-2.

Tech will return to Thompson Field on Saturday, Oct. 24, to celebrate Hokie Senior Night and honor four seniors, when they play No. 4 North Carolina for a 7 pm ACC match.

For updates on Virginia Tech men's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MSoccer).

HokieSports Shop