October 31, 2009
Hokies come up short at No. 16 Duke, falling 4-1
Charlie Campbell tallies the only Tech goal with an assist from David Fiorello.
Virginia Tech (5-10-2) 101
(16) Duke (12-4-0) 314
  • Koskinen Stadium - 409

DURHAM, N.C. – The Virginia Tech men’s soccer team could only generate one goal against ACC foe, Duke, which wasn’t enough as the No. 16 Blue Devils earned a 4-1 victory on Saturday night at Koskinen Stadium.

The Blue Devils (12-4-0, 4-3-0), playing at their home field where they now boast an 11-1 record on the season, got things started early in the first half, taking a 1-0 lead in the 15th minute. Andrew Wenger’s shot was saved by Tech’s keeper
Stefan Caulfield, but sophomore Daniel Tweed-Kent grabbed the rebound and slipped it in, collecting his first goal of the season.

Koen Oost tried to get something going for the Hokies in the eighth minute, but his shot from the plank was saved by Duke’s keeper James Belshaw. Oost struck again only minutes later, but his attempt went wide.

Tweed-Kent then led the Blue Devils in another attack in the 20th minute, five minutes after his first score. After a pass from Ryan Finley that set up the scoring play, Tweed-Kent launched a shot from 15-yards out and found the near-post corner, earning his second goal of the game.

The Hokies (5-10-2, 2-5-0), down 2-0 after 20 minutes of play, then connected on a counterattack. Freshman David Fiorello’s free kick found Charlie Campbell, who aggressively won the ball in the air, heading Fiorello’s kick past Belshaw and
narrowing Duke’s lead to 2-1. The goal was Campbell’s third of the season and the first assist for the freshman defender, Fiorello.

But the 16th-ranked Blue Devils broke away again in the 37th minute for an insurance goal. Temi Molinar settled a cross-pass and converted it into Duke’s third goal of the game, placing the shot beyond Caulfield’s reach. Ryan Ruffing collected an assist on the cross.

Tech came close to scoring another goal before the close of the half, but Robert Alberti’s header sailed over the net. The Hokies finished the half with five shots, compared to Duke’s 10.

Oost formed another attack, earning the first shot of the second half that missed just high, hitting the crossbar. Duke then added to their lead in the 56th minute. Nick Sih tallied the goal off a cross from Duke’s left side, giving the Blue Devils the 4-1 advantage, which is how the game would end.

Tech earned its first corner in the 75th minute, setting up three consecutive shots for the Hokies. Oost earned the first touch off the kick, sending it right to Jan Trnka-Amrhein, who replaced Belshaw as Duke’s keeper for the second half. Campbell also took a shot a minute later that went high and Gregory Cochrane saw an attempt, but his kicked was blocked.

Oost led the Hokies with five shots, while Campbell and Cochrane each added two. The Blue Devils outshot the Hokies, 15-12. Caulfield posted five saves on the night.

The Hokies will conclude their regular season on Friday, Nov. 6, when they will travel to Chesnut Hill, Mass., to take on Boston College in their final conference match. The ACC Championships are slated for Nov. 10-15 in Cary, N.C.

For updates on Virginia Tech men's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MSoccer).

HokieSports Shop