September 3, 2010
Tech falls to #17 St. John's, 2-0, in season opener
Daly records seven saves
(17) St. John's (1-0) 022
Virginia Tech (0-1) 000
  • Charlottesville, Va. - 1,055

Charlottesville, Va. -- After 62 minutes of scoreless play, 17th ranked St. John’s finally broke the tie, ultimately coming out on top, 2-0, over the Hokies. This now ties the all-time series between the two teams at 3-3-1.

Tech made it’s bid for a season-opening upset, holding 17th ranked St. John’s scoreless in the first half. Jose Velazquez led the offensive charge for the Hokies, with 3 back-to-back shots, 2 on goal. In the closing seconds of the first half, Velazquez took a shot that was saved by St. John’s keeper, Rafael Diaz. Velazquez rebounded for a second shot which bounced off the crossbar, resulting in a third shot opportunity for Velazquez which was again saved by Diaz.

In the 63rd minute, however, St. John’s midfielder Pablo Battuto Punyed put St. John’s ahead with a straight shot from 20 yards out. Tech had a chance to tie it up off a John Snyder corner kick in the 67th minute, but St. John’s maintained good possession till the end, out-shooting Tech 8-1 after St. John’s first goal. Tadeu Terra added an insurance goal for St. John’s in the 86th minute, a shot in the upper right corner from six yards out.

Virginia Tech goalkeeper Jim Daly kept the Hokies in the game, earning seven saves, five of which came in the second half. St. John’s had pressure on Daly all game, recording 24 shots and nine corner kicks. Tech took nine shots, six on goal, and had two corner kicks. Clarke Bentley, Greg Cochrane, Jeremy Williams, and Patrick Huang all recorded shots on goal, with Evan Slusser and David Clemens taking one shot each.

The Hokies will look to bounce back and earn a win Sunday against UAB in the second and final game of the UVa tournament. The match is set to start at noon.

For updates on Virginia Tech men's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MSoccer).

HokieSports Shop