September 14, 2012
Tech comes back to draw 1-1 with Boston College
Fiorello ties game in the 83rd minute as Hokies play final 60 minutes with 10 men
Boston College (2-2-1) 01001
Virginia Tech (3-2-1) 01001
  • Thompson Field - 846

BLACKSBURG – As it was a season ago, this year’s match-up between Virginia Tech and Boston College was filled with drama as well, but this time, the two sides ended in a 1-1 draw after David Fiorello scored a wild goal in the 83rd minute to level the game for his 10-man squad.

“I’m very pleased with is the resolve in this group,” head coach Mike Brizendine said. “We came from a goal down and a man down against an ACC opponent, you can’t be more pleased with that kind of effort. As we continue forward I keep telling the guys that I like this team’s chemistry and unity that we have. There’s a lot of fight in this group.”

With both teams trying to settle into the game early, it was BC’s Kyle Bekker that opened things up in the 10th minute with a hard strike off of the right post. The Eagles kept up consistent pressure on the Hokie backline throughout the half, but Tech stood tall. BC totaled 13 shots in the half, but Kyle Renfro came up with six saves to keep the game knotted and 0-0 heading into the half.

Boston College came out in the second half just as they ended the first—shooting. Charlie Rugg netted the game’s first goal less than a minute into the second half. Bekker sent a low cross into the box to Rugg who went left side with the shot.

The game took another turn in the 51st minute as Tech center back Devante Dubose was called for a foul on BC’s Derrick Boateng. The junior was issued a red card leaving the Hokies to play with 10 men for the rest of the match. Tech dug in and continued to push, looking for the equalizer despite playing down a man. The Hokie attack though left the backline susceptible to Eagle counter attacks, one which found the inside of the right post but the ball ricocheted out.

In the 83rd minute, Fiorello equalized the game with a long-range effort. His shot from 35 yards out initially took a deflection from an Eagle defender. The shot went hard into the ground and sailed into the air toward the goal. BC keeper Justin Luthy retreated for the ball, but it dropped under the bar out of his reach.

The game headed into overtime with the 10-man Hokie squad searching for the game-winner. Tech came out the aggressor despite being short handed, but through 20 minutes of extra time, couldn’t find the second goal and the two sides ended the game 1-1.

We tell the guys to not play timid, don’t take any unnecessary risks, but push to get the result,” Brizendine said. “I thought there were opportunities there in overtime for us, but we just couldn’t capitalize.”

BC came away with a 10-4 advantage in shots on goal, but it was Renfro who time and time again came up with key stops for the Hokies. The junior tied his career-high in saves with nine. With the result Tech moves to 3-2-1 overall and 0-1-1 in the ACC, while BC is 2-2-1 overall and 0-1-1 in league play.

Tech returns to Thompson Field on Tuesday when the team hosts VMI. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

For updates on Virginia Tech men's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MSoccer).

HokieSports Shop