August 31, 2014
Hokies fall on the road to Saint Louis 3-1
Freshman Huber scores first career goal in loss
Virginia Tech (1-1) 011
St. Louis (2-0) 303
  • Hermann Stadium - 785

ST. LOUIS, Mo. – Freshman Dylan Huber scored his first collegiate goal, but it was not enough as the Hokies fell 3-1 to Saint Louis at Hermann Stadium on Sunday evening.

“I’m disappointed with tonight’s overall performance. Unfortunately, how well we played in the second half of the game was not enough to make up for all of the mistakes we made in the first half,” explained head coach Mike Brizendine. “We played very well in the second half and we were able to get one back while limiting their number of chances. There were some opportunities for us in the second half that could have made it a different game that we were unable to capitalize on.”

Despite Tech (1-1, 0-0 ACC) outshooting the Billikens (2-0, 0-0 A10) 11-10, the Hokies could not come back from the three first-half goals that Saint Louis put away.

The Billikens got things started in the fourth minute when the Billiken’s Robert Kristo slipped a ball past freshman goalkeeper Ben Lundgaard to take the 1-0 lead. Just one minute later, Huber nearly got the Hokies on the board but his shot was parried away by the Saint Louis goalkeeper.

The Billikens added another goal in the 16th minute when Kristo headed a set piece past Lundgaard. Saint Louis would score once more off of a penalty kick in the 30th minute to extend the lead to 3-0. They would take the three-goal lead into halftime. At the half, the Hokies trailed 8-4 in shots while Lundgaard was forced to make three saves.

Out of the break, the Hokies came out with new life, peppering the Billiken goal with seven shots while holding them to only two. It only took 4 minutes for the Hokies to get one back when goalkeeper Ben Lundgaard sent a booming punt to Huber, who beat a pair of defenders and slotted it past the goalkeeper to bring the score to 3-1 in favor of the Billikens.

The Hokies would continue to send numbers forward while playing superb defense in the second stanza. Tech would have several more chances, including a pair from freshman Ricardo John that were near misses. Tech would fail to connect for another goal and eventually fall 3-1.

Tech outshot the Billikens 7-2 in the second half and goalkeeper Ben Lundgaard did not have to make a single save in the second period.

“I’m excited to be back home again and get our bodies prepared before we hit the road again and take on a very competitive West Virginia squad,” concluded Brizendine.

The Hokies will continue their season on Thursday, Sept.4 when the squad travels to West Virginia for another nonconference matchup.

For updates on Virginia Tech men's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter

HokieSports Shop