September 17, 2014
Hokies defeat UNCG 1-0 on the road
Verfurth's goal propels Tech to third win of the season
Virginia Tech (3-3-0) 011
UNCG (0-5-1) 000
  • UNCG Soccer Stadium - 436

GREENSBORO, N.C. – After waiting to play for nearly two hours due to a severe weather delay, the Virginia Tech men’s soccer team earned a 1-0 win on the road at UNC Greensboro thanks to a goal from freshman Collin Verfurth in the 50th minute.

“I’m happy with the fact that we were able to score and get a shutout. I have to get credit to UNC Greensboro. They are the best team in the country who has yet to win this season,” explained head coach Mike Brizendine. “They showed fight throughout the whole match even up until the last few seconds of the game. We did a great job to match their intensity, especially after a rain delay. We had a couple of guys that’s stepped up tonight and played excellent for us. Collin Verfurth and Graydon Hester played extremely well for us tonight and really brought the game up a level, which is always encouraging.”

The Hokies (3-3) were outshot by the Spartans (0-5-1) 17-10, but Tech held a 4-2 advantage in corner kicks.

After waiting out the weather, the Hokies came out ready to play. In the opening minutes, Tech maintained most of the possession and was able to produce some quality chances on goal. In the 27th minute, Niels Kirch nearly put the Hokies on top when he hit a shot from 25 yards out that sailed just wide of the goal.

Once the two squads settled into the match, things leveled out for both teams. At halftime, UNCG led 7-6 in shots. Freshman goalkeeper Ben Lundgaard earned the start in goal and made three quality saves in the opening stanza to keep the score level.

Coming out of the break, Tech came out firing. It only took five minutes out of halftime for the Hokies to take the 1-0 lead. In the 50th minute, freshman Merlin Baus was fouled just outside of the box. On the ensuing free kick, Baus played a whipped in ball to the head of teammate Verfurth. The freshman headed the ball off the post that ricocheted off the goalkeeper and back into the goal.

UNCG turned up the offensive pressure in the second half, outshooting the Hokies 10-4, but was unable to capitalize on their opportunities because of superb goalkeeping in the form of three saves from Lundgaard that kept the score the way it was as the Hokies would walk away with a 1-0 victory.

In all, Lundgaard made six total saves earning his second shutout of the year. Verfurth’s goal was also the first of his career.

“Looking ahead to Wake Forest, we are on short rest. We’ve got to get our legs back, study film and come up with a game plan to beat a team we have never beaten since we’ve been in the ACC,” concluded Brizendine.

The Hokies will return to Thompson Field this Friday when the squad takes on conference foe Wake Forest. The game is apart of Futbol Friday, which features a doubleheader with the women’s soccer team. Free Nike gear will be given out throughout the game. Game time is slated for 8:30 p.m.

For updates on Virginia Tech men's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter

HokieSports Shop