October 27, 2015
Tech falls to Belmont, 2-1
Collin Verfurth scored for the Hokies
Belmont (4-11-1) 022
Virginia Tech (5-8-3) 011
  • Thompson Field - 153

BLACKSBURG, Va. - Despite jumping out to a 1-0 lead, the Virginia Tech men’s soccer team dropped a rain-soaked match to Belmont on Tuesday night, 2-1.

The Hokies, who were missing a handful of starters due to injuries as well as a yellow card accumulation, were able to get on the board in the 52nd minute thanks to Collin Verfurth’s header off a free-kick. Belmont was able to respond four minutes later and got the game-winner in the 74th minute.

The Hokies are now 5-8-3 on the season while Belmont is 4-11-1.

It only took two shot attempts in the second half for the Hokies to finally break the tie after Belmont fouled Tech 40-yards out from goal. Daniel Lauretano hit a free kick into the penalty box that Verfurth met with his head and placed it over the goalkeeper and into the goal.

The Bruins responded in the 57th minute with a header of their own as Vuylsteke got on the end of a cross to beat Morten Lamps. In the 74th minute, Belmont was able to get the game-winner from Raphael Bel Colmanette as he cut the ball back in the box and finished at the near post.

The Hokies last shot attempt on the night came from Daniel Luaretano in the 90th minute as his shot went wide left of the post.

The Hokies held an 8-1 advantage is corner kicks on the night but Belmont held a slight 15-13 edge in shots. The Bruins also held a 6-5 advantage in shots on goal.

In the first half, the Hokies controlled a large portion of the possession and had a few good chances saved by Grayson Rector. Ricardo John and Juan Pablo Saavedra both had shots saved as the teams went into halftime tied at 0-0.

The Hokies play their final regular-season game of the season as they travel to Durham, North Carolina to take on Duke University at 7 p.m. on Friday night.

For updates on Virginia Tech men's soccer, follow the Hokies on Twitter

HokieSports Shop