No. 35 Tech (3-0) jumped out to a 1-0 lead over the Retrievers by winning all three of the doubles matches. A pair of 8-3 victories were recorded in the Hokies' favor, as Nicolas Delgado de Robles/Pedro Graber beat Irfan Shamasdin/Davidson Jackson at No. 1, and Albert Larregola/Brandon Corace defeated Nick Savage-Pollock/Fernando Ferreira. Sebastien Jacques/Yoann Re handled Chris Meyer/Logan Bricker in the No. 3 contest by a score of 8-0.
No. 46 Larregola (Sr., Lleida, Spain) kicked things off in singles action for the Hokies at No. 1, knocking off Meyer 6-2,6-2. In the No. 2 match, No. 86 Delgado (Jr., Madrid, Spain) only lost two games as he beat Shamasdin 6-0, 6-2.
One of the more entertaining games of the day came in the No. 3 match as Re (So., Verdun, Quebec, Canada) squeaked by Savage-Pollock 6-4, 5-7 (12-10) to complete the 7-0 sweep.
In the other singles contests, Graber (So., Santiago, Chile) edged Jackson (7-6, 6-3), Jacques (Fr., Magog, Quebec, Canada) took care of Bricker (6-0, 6-1), and Corace (Jr., Naples, Fla.) defeated Ferreira (6-1, 6-3).
Tech's next action will come on Wed., Jan. 30, as the Hokies host Middle Tennessee State, beginning at 3 p.m.
1. #42 Albert Larregola (VT) def. Chris Meyer (UMBC) 6-2, 6-2
2. #86 Nicolas Delgado (VT) def. Irfan Shamasdin (UMBC) 6-0, 6-2
3. Yoaan Re (VT) def. Nick Savage-Pollock (UMBC) 6-4, 5-7 (12-10)
4. Pedro Graber (VT) def. David Jackson (UMBC) 7-6, 6-3
5. Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Logan Bricker (UMBC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Brandon Corace (VT) def. Fernando Ferreira (UMBC) 6-1, 6-3
1. Delgado/Graber (VT) def. Shamasdin/Jackson 8-3
2. Larregola/Corace (VT) def. Savage-Pollock/Ferreira 8-3
3. Jacques/Re (VT) def. Meyer/Bricker 8-0