Virginia Tech swept Georgia Tech in the doubles matches for the first point of the contest then captured five of the six singles matches for the win.
Following the doubles, the Yellow Jackets briefly tied the match as 72nd-ranked Guillermo Gomez upset 55th-ranked Albert Larregola (Sr., Lleida, Spain), 6-4, 6-1 in the No. 1 match, but the Hokies retook the lead for good with a 6-1, 6-2 victory by Nicolas Delgado de Robles (Jr., Madrid, Spain) in his No. 2 match against Ryan Smith. They clinched the match with two more wins as Brandon Corace (Jr., Naples, Fla.) defeated Doug Kenny, 6-1, 7-5, at No. 6, followed by Sebastien Jacques' (Fr., Magog, Quebec, Canada) 6-4, 6-4 triumph at No. 5 versus Miguel Muguruza.
Virginia Tech closed out the match with two more wins as Yoann Re (So., Verdun, Quebec, Canada) took a 6-3, 7-6 (3) victory at No. 3 over Scott Blackmon, and Pedro Graber (So., Santiago, Chile) won a close 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 contest versus Eliot Potvin at No. 4.
The Hokies took the doubles as Graber/Delgado de Robles cruised to a 8-4 win at No. 1 against Blackmon/Smith, before Re/Jacques clinched the point by winning their No. 2 contest, 9-8 (7-4), over George Gvelesiani/Gomez. Larregola/Corace finished the sweep in the final match, 8-7 (7-4), over David Morth/Muguruza at No. 3. A tiebreaker was played at 7-7 since the doubles had already been decided.
Virginia Tech returns home to the Burrows/Burleson Tennis Center on Fri., March 28, hosting Florida State at 2 p.m. The Miami Hurricanes visit next Sunday, March 30, with the match set to start at 12 p.m.
1. #72 Guillermo Gomez (GT) def. #55 Albert Larregola (VT) 6-4, 6-1
2. Nicolas Delgado de Robles (VT) def. Ryan Smith (GT) 6-1, 6-2
3. Yoann Re (VT) def. Scott Blackmon (GT) 6-3, 7-6 (3)
4. Pedro Graber (VT) def. Eliot Potvin (GT) 6-2, 2-6, 1-0
5. Sebastian Jacques (VT) def. Miguel Muguruza (GT) 6-4, 6-4
6. Brandon Corace (VT) def. Doug Kenny (GT) 6-1, 7-5
1. Graber/Delgado de Robles (VT) def. Blackmon/Smith (GT) 8-4
2. Re/Jacques (VT) def. George Gvelesiani/Gomez (GT) 9-8 (7-4)
3. Larregola/Corace (VT) def. David North/Muguruza (GT) 8-7 (7-4)
Doubles: 1, 2*, 3
Singles: 1, 2, 6, 5*, 3, 4
* Clinching point