The Hokies swept the three doubles matches and captured three of the six singles contests in the victory.
With the score tied at 3-3 in the No. 5 singles match and everyone watching, Tech's Sebastien Jacques (Fr., Magog, Quebec, Canada) earned the deciding point in the only three-set match of the day with a 6-2, 4-6, 7-5 victory over Alex Stone. The tied score was a result of Kiril Dimitrov's 6-1, 7-5 victory over Yoann Re (So. Verdun, Quebec, Canada) in the No. 3 match.
In earlier action, Dylan Arnould quickly dispatched Pedro Graber (So., Santiago, Chile), 6-1, 6-0 for Duke's first point of the day at No. 4. Jared Pinsky then gave the Blue Devils their first and only lead of the day at No. 6 by beating Brandon Corace (Jr., Naples, Fla.), 6-2, 6-4. Facing two nationally ranked oppoenents proved to be no challenge for the Hokies in the No. 1 and 2 matches as No. 40 Albert Larregola (Sr., Lleida, Spain) beat No. 50 David Goulet, 6-2, 6-4 and Nicolas Delgado de Robles (Jr., Madrid, Spain) upset No. 62 Reid Carleton, 6-3, 6-2.
In doubles, Tech swept the three closely contested matches as Delgado de Robles/Graber first defeated Carleton/Dimitrov, 9-7, in the No. 2 match. Corace/Larregola clinched the doubles point at No. 1 for the Hokies by then beating the No. 50-nationally ranked doubles team of Goulet/Christopher Price, 9-8 (7-2). Jacques/Re completed the sweep with an 8-7 (7-5) win over Arnould/Stone in the No. 3 match.
The Hokies continue their road trip in North Carolina on Sunday with a 1 p.m. start time against the No. 10 North Carolina Tar Heels.
1. #40 Albert Larregola (VT) def. #50 David Goulet (DU) 6-2, 6-4
2. N. Delgado de Robles (VT) def. #62 Reid Carleton (DU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Kiril Dimitrov (DU) def. Yoann Re (VT) 6-1, 7-5
4. Dylan Arnould (DU) def. Pedro Graber (VT) 6-1, 6-0
5. Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Alex Stone (DU) 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
6. Jared Pinsky (DU) def. Brandon Corace (VT) 6-2, 6-4
1. Larregola/Corace (VT) def. #50 Goulet/Price (DU) 9-8 (7-2)
2. Graber/Delgado de Robles (VT) def. Carleton/Dimitrov (DU) 9-7
3. Jacques/Re (VT) def. Arnould/Stone (DU) 8-7 (7-5)
Order of finish: