UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - Virginia Tech and No. 44 Penn State had another one of their tight battles before the Hokies pulled out a 4-2 victory Saturday afternoon at Penn State Indoor Tennis Center. Tech improved to 2-1 on the year while Penn State fell to 2-4.
After dropping two of three tight matches to lose the doubles point, the Hokies battled back to take four of the five completed singles contest for the victory.
Trailing 1-0, Tech jumped on top in singles play as Yoann Re (Jr., Verdun, Quebec, Canada), the reigning ACC Player of the Week, won his No. 1 match, 6-1, 7-6 (4), over Adam Slagter. The Hokies took a 3-1 lead as Luka Somen (Fr., Karlovac, Croatia) made short work of Jason Lee, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 4 and Pedro Graber (Jr., Santiago, Chile), ranked No. 101 nationally, also had no trouble at No. 3 dispensing Eddie Bourchier, 6-2, 6-2.
The Nittany Lions drew within 3-2 when Nicolas Delgado de Robles (Sr., Madrid, Spain) fell, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 2 against Brendan Lynch. Brandon Corace (Sr., Naples, Fla.) won the clinching point for Tech with his tough, 6-1, 6-7 (3), 6-1, win at No. 6 over Guillaume St.-Maurice. The No. 5 match between Sebastien Jacques (So., Magog, Quebec, Canada) and Ryan Gormley, was not completed once the outcome of the team match had been determined.
Corace/Graber briefly gave Tech the doubles lead with a 8-5 win at No. 3 versus Lynch/St.-Maurice, but Delgado de Robles/Somen lost at No. 1, 8-5, to Lee/Slagter to even things up. With the doubles point at stake, Jacques/Re lost a tight, 8-6, decision at No. 2 against Bourchier/Gormley.
The Hokies return to action Feb. 13 hosting College of Charleston (3 p.m.) and St. Bonaventure (7 p.m.) at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center on the Virginia Tech campus.
#32 Virginia Tech 4, #44 Penn State 2
1. Yoann Re (VT) def. Adam Slagter (PSU) 6-1, 7-6 (4)
2. Brendan Lynch (PSU) def. Nicolas Delgado de Robles (VT) 6-2, 6-4
3. #101 Pedro Graber (VT) def. Eddie Bourchier (PSU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Luka Somen (VT) def. Jason Lee (PSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Sebastien Jacques (VT) vs. Ryan Gormley (PSU) 7-6 (4), 4-6, 2-3 DNF
6. Brandon Corace (VT) def. Guillaume St-Maurice (PSU) 6-1, 6-7 (3), 6-1
Finishing Order: 1, 4, 3, 2, 6*
1. Lee/Slagter (PSU) def. #20 Delgado de Robles/Somen (VT) 8-5
2. Bourchier/Gormley (PSU) def. Jacques/Re (VT) 8-6
3. Corace/Graber (VT) def. Lynch/St.-Maurice (PSU) 8-5
Finishing Order: 3, 1, 2*
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).