BLACKSBURG, Va. - Virginia Tech had no trouble in its’ home-opener Friday afternoon defeating College of Charleston, 7-0, at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center on the Virginia Tech campus. The Hokies have little time to enjoy the victory as they host St. Bonaventure at 7 p.m.
Tech (3-1), ranked No. 32 in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll, swept three matches to win the doubles point then won the six singles contests for the victory.
In singles, Yoann Re (Jr., Verdon, Quebec, Canada) defeated Lukas Koncila, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 1 and Pedro Graber (Jr., Santiago, Chile), ranked No. 101 nationally, won, 7-6, 6-3, in his No. 2 match against Mickael Boyer. Luka Somen (Fr., Karlovac, Croatia) won, 6-7, 7-5, 1-0 () at No. 3 versus Tom Delme. Elsewhere, Sebastien Jacques (So., Magog, Quebec, Canada) picked up a 6-3, 6-2, win at No. 4 over Mickael Tritignac and in the No. 5 event, Brandon Corace (Sr., Naples, Fla.) had no trouble with a 6-0, 6-1, win over Joe Nicolazzi. Patrick Dacik (Fr., Severna Park, Md.) defeated Steven Myers, 6-2, 7-6, in the No. 6 match to complete the sweep.
Tech won the doubles as Jacques/Re defeated Abramovich/Koncilla, 8-4, in the No. 1 match while Corace/Graber picked up a 8-6 win at No. 2 over Boyer/Myers. The Hokies completed the sweep as Daciek/Somen won 8-5 versus Delme/Trintignac in the No. 3 contest.
#32 Virginia Tech 7, College of Charleston 0
1. Yoann Re (VT) def. Lukas Koncila (CoC ) 6-3, 6-1
2. #101 Pedro Graber (VT) def. Mickael Boyer (CoC) 7-6, 6-3
3. Luka Somen (VT) def. Tom Delme (CoC) 6-7, 7-5, 1-0 (7)
4. Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Mickael Trintignac (CoC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Brandon Corace (VT) def. Joe Nicolazzi (CoC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Patrick Dacik (VT) def. Steven Myers (CoC) 6-2, 7-6
Finishing Order: 5, 1, 4*, 6, 2, 3
1. Jacques/Re (VT) def. Omer Abramovich/Koncilla (CoC) 8-4
2. Corace/Graber (VT) def. Boyer/Myers (CoC) 8-6
3. Daciek/Somen (VT) def. Delme/Trintignac (CoC) 8-5
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).