|Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center||F|
|(32) Virginia Tech||6|
BLACKSBURG, Va. - Virginia Tech completed a home-opening sweep Friday evening defeating St. Bonaventure, 6-1, after beating College of Charleston, 7-0, in the afternoon match. Both contests were played at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center on the Virginia Tech campus.
Tech (4-1), ranked No. 32 in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll, took two of three matches to win the doubles point then won five of the six singles contests for the victory.
In singles, Yoann Re (Jr., Verdon, Quebec, Canada) defeated Leo Mochizuki, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 1 while Luka Somen (Fr., Karlovac, Croatia) struggled before pulling out a 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (4) win in his No. 2 match against Chris Post. In other results, Sebastien Jacques (So., Magog, Quebec, Canada) breezed to a 6-1, 6-1, win at No. 3 over Jonathan Luce, Patrick Daciek (Fr., Severna Park, Md.) defeated Victor Lecina, 6-2, 6-2, in the No. 5 match and Corrado Degl.’ Incerti Tocci (Fr., Reggio Emilia, Italy) beat Enric Larregola, 6-3. 6-1, at No. 6. Tech’s suffered its’ lone singles loss of the evening at No. 4 where Brandon Corace (Sr., Naples, Fla.) dropped a tough 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10), decision against Mikhail Sudakov.
Tech won the doubles to open the competition as Pedro Graber (Jr., Santiago, Chile)/Jacques defeated Mochizuki/Post, 8-4, in the No. 1 match while Daciek/Re also picked up a 8-4 win at No. 2 over Luce/Diego Valdenegro. The Hokies suffered their only doubles loss at No. 3 as Corace/Somen lost 8-5 to Larregola/Sudakov.
The Hokies return to action next Fri., Feb. 20, when they open the ACC season in a 4 p.m. home match against Boston College.
#32 Virginia Tech 6, St. Bonaventure 1
1. Yoann Re (VT) def. Leo Mochizuki (SB ) 6-1, 6-3
2. Luka Somen (VT) def. Chris Post (SB) 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (4)
3. Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Jonathan Luce (SB) 6-1, 6-1
4. Mikhail Sudakov (SB) deg Brandon Corace (VT) 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10)
5. Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Victor Lecina (SB) 6-2, 6-2
6. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) def. Enric Larregola (SB) 6-3, 6-1
1. Pedro Graber/Jacques (VT) def. Mochizuki/Post (SB) 8-4
2. Daciek/Re (VT) def. Luce/Diego Valdenegro (SB) 8-4
3. Larregola/Sudakov (SB) def. Corace/Somen (VT) 8-5
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).