BLACKSBURG, Va. - Virginia Tech had a successful opening to the ACC season Friday evening defeating Boston College, 7-0. The match was played indoors at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center on the Virginia Tech campus. The Hokies improved to 5-1 overall and 1-0 in the conference with the victory while Boston College fall to 6-2, 0-1.
Tech, ranked No. 32 in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll, took two of the three matches to win the doubles point, then won all of the six singles contests for the victory.
In singles, Yoann Re (Jr., Verdun, Quebec, Canada), ranked No. 86 nationally, gave the Hokies a 2-0 lead with his 6-2, 6-2, win at No. 2 against Akash Muppidi, then Pedro Graber (Jr., Santiago, Chile) picked a 6-4, 6-0, decision at No. 3 against Erik Kreutzer. Tech clinched the victory at No. 5 as Sebastien Jacques (So., Magog, Quebec, Canada) defeated Alex Rastorgouev, 6-4, 6-0.
Patrick Daciek (Fr., Severna Park, Md.) increased the advantage to 5-0 with a 6-2, 6-2, win at No. 6 versus Adam Davison which was followed by 92nd-ranked Nicolas Delgado de Robles’ (Sr., Madrid, Spain), 6-4, 6-0, victory in the No. 1 match against Thomas Nolan. The sweep was completed when Luka Somen (Fr., Karlovac, Croatia) won a tough, 7-6, 6-7, 1-0 (5) contest at No. 4 over Alex Skinner.
Tech won the doubles to open the competition as Jacques/Re defeated Brian Garber/Skinner, 8-5, in the No. 2 match and Graber/Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (Fr., Reggio Emilia, Italy) took the clinching match with a 8-3 win at No. 3 over Davison/Muppidi. The Hokies suffered their lone loss of the day at No. 1 as Delgado de Robles/Somen, ranked No. 44 nationally, dropped a tight 9-8 decision over Kreutzer/Nolan.
The Hokies return to action Sat., Feb. 22, when they host Brown in a 2 p.m. match.
#32 Virginia Tech 7, Boston College 0
1. #92 Nicolas Delgado def. Robles (VT) def. Thomas Nolan (BC) 6-4, 6-0
2. #86 Yoann Re (VT) def. Akash Muppidi (BC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Pedro Graber (VT) def. Erik Kreutzer (BC) 6-4, 6-0
4. Luka Somen (VT) def. Alex Skinner (BC) 7-6, 6-7, 1-0 (5)
5. Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Alex Rastorgouev (BC) 6-4, 6-0
6. Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Adam Davison (BC) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 3, 5*, 6, 1, 4
1. Kreutzer/Nolan (BC) def. #44 Delgado de Robles/Somen (VT) 9-8
2. Jacques/Re (VT) def. Brian Garber/Skinner (BC) 8-5
3. Graber/Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) def. Davison/Muppidi (BC) 8-3
Order of finish: 2, 3*, 1
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).