BLACKSBURG, Va. - Virginia Tech’s men’s tennis team completed a perfect weekend defeating Brown, 7-0, Saturday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center on the Virginia Tech campus. The Hokies, who defeated Boston College by the same count Friday afternoon in their ACC opener, improved to 6-1 overall while Brown dropped to 8-3 on the year.
Tech, ranked No. 32 in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll, swept all three matches to win the doubles point, then claimed the six singles contests for the victory.
In singles action, the Hokies quickly won two matches in straight sets to take a 3-0 lead as Brandon Corace (Sr., Naples, Fla.) won, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 6 over Jimmy Crystal and Sebastien Jacques (So., Magog, Quebec, Canada) took his No. 5 match, 6-2, 6-2, against Kendrick Au. The Hokies won the clinching point at No. 3 as Pedro Graber (Jr., Santiago, Chile) defeated Sam Garland, 6-1, 6-4.
Elsewhere, Luka Somen (Fr., Karlovac, Croatia) picked up a 6-4, 6-3, victory at No. 4 over Paul Gardner, Nicolas Delgado de Robles (Sr., Madrid, Spain), ranked No. 92 nationally, edged Nathaniel Gorham, 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (5) in the No. 2 match and Yoann Re (Jr., Verdun, Quebec, Canada), ranked No. 86 in the nation, took the final match at No. 1 with a 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (9) victory over Jon Pearlman.
Tech had no trouble winning the doubles point to open the competition as Corace/Graber defeated Au/Charlie Posner, 8-2, in the No. 3 match and Delgado de Robles/Patrick Daciek (Fr., Severna Park, Md.) clinched the point at No. 2 with their 8-5 victory against Gorham/Pearlman. The Hokies completed the sweep as Jacques/Re defeated Garland/Gardner, 8-4, at No. 1.
The Hokies return to action Fri., Feb. 27, when they travel to Charlottesville, Va. for a 6 p.m. match against No. 1 Virginia.
#32 Virginia Tech 7, Brown 0
1. #86 Yoann Re (VT) def. Jon Pearlman (BU) 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (9)
2. #92 Nicolas Delgado de Robles (VT) def. Nathaniel Gorham (BU) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (5)
3. Pedro Graber (VT) def. Sam Garland (BU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Luka Somen (VT) def. Paul Gardner (BU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Kendrick Au (BU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Brandon Corace (VT) def. Jimmy Crystal (BU) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 6, 5, 3*, 4, 2, 1
1. Jacques/Re (VT) def. Garland/Gardner (VT) 8-4
2. Delgado de Robles/Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Gorham/Pearlman (BU) 8-5
3. Corace/Graber (VT) def. Au/Charlie Posner (BU) 8-2
Order of finish: 3, 2*, 1
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).