FORT WORTH, TEXAS - Clutch players deliver clutch performances when their team needs it most and Virginia Tech’s Yoann Re continued his remarkable season by winning the clinching points in both doubles and singles Friday afternoon to lead the Hokies to a 4-3 win over No. 38 TCU. The match was played indoors at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center on the TCU campus. Tech improved to 9-2 with the win while TCU fell to 5-9.
After the teams split the first two doubles matches, Re teamed with Sebastien Jacques to upset the 14th-ranked duo of Adrian Simon/Emanuel Brighiu, 8-4, to give the Hokies the all-important doubles point.
TCU evened the match as No. 80 Kriegler Brink took the No. 3 singles match, 6-3, 6-0, over Tech’s Luka Somen (Fr., Karlovac, Croatia), but the Hokies recaptured the lead as Jacques (So., Magog, Quebec, Canada) defeated Simon, 7-5, 6-0, in the No. 4 contest. Tech extended the advantage to 3-1 when Patrick Daciek (Fr., Severna Park, Md.) won his No. 5 match, 6-4, 7-5, versus Christopher Price.
The Horned Frogs pulled within 3-2 with a win at No. 2 as the 79th-ranked Brighiu won a 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, decision against Nicolas Delgado de Robles (Sr., Madrid, Spain). Re (Jr., Verdun, Quebec, Canada), ranked 59th nationally, improved his singles record to 11-0 and clinched the match at No. 1 with a come-from-behind, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, victory over No. 93 Slah Mbarek. Casey Powers won the No. 6 over Tech’s Brandon Corace (Sr., Naples, Fla.), 6-3, 2-6, 1-0, to complete the scoring.
In other doubles results, Tech easily won the No. 3 doubles as Corace/Graber beat Price/Jack Seider, 8-1, at No. 3, however the Hokies’ 67th-ranked duo of Delgado de Robles/Somen lost, 8-1, at No. 1 to the No. 26 TCU pair of Brink/Mbarek.
The Hokies conclude their two-match tour of the Lone Star State Sunday at 7 p.m. eastern time when they travel to Waco to face No. 11 Baylor.
#25 Virginia Tech 4, #38 TCU 3
1. #59 Yoann Re (VT) def. #93 Slah Mbarek (TCU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. #79 Emanuel Brighiu (TCU) def. Nicolas Delgado de Robles (VT) 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
3. #80 Kriegler Brink (TCU) def. Luka Somen (VT) 6-3, 6-0
4. Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Adrian Simon (TCU) 7-5, 6-0
5. Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Christopher Price (TCU) 6-4, 7-5
6. Casey Powers (TCU) def. Brandon Corace (VT) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0
Finishing Order: 3, 4, 5, 2, 1*, 6
1. #26 Brink/Mbarek def. #67 Delgado de Robles/Somen (VT) 8-1
2. Jacques/Re (VT) def. #14 Brighiu/Simon (TCU) 8-4
3. Corace/Graber (VT) def. Price/Jack Seider (TCU) 8-1
Finishing Order: 1, 3*, 2
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).