BLACKSBURG, Va. - The hits just keep on coming at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center as the 21st-ranked Virginia Tech men’s tennis team rolled to a 7-0 blanking of Clemson Sunday afternoon. Tech improved to 11-3 on the year and 4-1 in the ACC while the Tigers fell to 8-8 and 0-5 in the conference.
The Hokies swept the doubles and only dropped two sets in taking all six singles contests.
In singles, Yoann Re (Jr., Verdun, Quebec, Canada) defeated Carlos Alvarez, 5-7, 6-0, 7-5, in a tightly contested No. 1 match while Nicolas Delgado de Robles (Sr., Madrid, Spain) took the No. 2 match, 7-6, 6-1, over Gera Borychinskiy. Elsewhere, Luka Somen (Fr., Karlovac, Croatia) won a tough No. 3 contest, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2, against Rok Bizjak, Sebastien Jacques (So., Magog, Quebec, Canada) won, 7-6, 6-2, at No. 4 over Kevin Fleck, Brandon Corace (Sr., Naples, Fla.) cruised past Kevin Galloway, 6-3, 6-2, in the No. 5 match and Patrick Daciek (Fr., Severna Park, Md.) had no trouble at No. 6 winning 6-3, 6-3, versus Ike Belk.
Tech wasted no time in capturing the doubles point as Daciek/Delgado de Robles made short work of Boryachinskiy/Wesley Moran, 8-0, at No. 2 and Jacques/Re rolled to a 8-3 victory at No. 1 versus Alvarez/Bizjak. The Hokies completed the sweep as Corace/Pedro Graber (Jr., Santiago, Chile) edged Belk/Fleck, 7-6, at No. 3.
The Hokies will head to the Sunshine State next weekend for key ACC matches on Fri., March 27 at No. 45 Miami and Sun., March 29 at No. 14 Florida State.
#21 Virginia Tech 7, Clemson 0
1. #59 Yoann Re (VT) def. Carlos Alvarez (CU) 5-7, 6-0, 7-5
2. Nicolas Delgado de Robles (VT) def. Gera Boryachinskiy (CU) 7-6, 6-1
3. Luka Somen (VT) def. Rok Bizjak (CU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
4. Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Kevin Fleck (CU) 7-6, 6-2
5. Brandon Corace (VT) def. Kevin Galloway (CU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Ike Belk (CU) 6-3, 6-3
Finishing Order: 5, 6, 2*, 4, 3, 1
1. Jacques/Re (VT) def. Alvarez/Bizjak (CU) 8-3
2. Daciek/Delgado de Robles (VT) def. Boryachinskiy/Wesley Moran (CU) 8-0
3. Corace/Pedro Graber (VT) def. Belk/Fleck (CU) 7-6
Finishing Order: 2, 1*, 3
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).