URBANA, Ill. - Virginia Tech’s No. 3 duo of Luka Somen/ Corrado Degl' Incerti Tocci fought off three match points to win the deciding doubles match and the Hokies went on to edge No. 21 Boise State, 4-3, Saturday in the consolation match of the ITA Kick-Off Weekend Urbana Regional. The match was played at the Atkins Tennis Center on the University of Illinois campus.
Virginia Tech (2-1), ranked No. 27 in the ITA preseason national poll, won two of the three doubles matches to win the pivotal the first point, then split the six singles matches for the victory.
After winning the doubles point, Patrick Daciek (So., Severna Park, Md.), ranked No. 75 nationally, won his No. 4 match, 6-1, 6-2, over Cristian Hodel and Will Beck (Jr., Potomac, Md.) put the Hokies up 3-0 with a, 7-5, 6-0, victory at No. 5 against Jeff Mullen.
Boise State (1-2) mounted a comeback as Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (So., Reggio Emilia, Italy) lost at No. 3 to Filipp Pogostkin, 6-2, 6-3, and Broncos closed to within 3-2 when Yoann Re (Sr., Verdun, Quebec, Canada) lost, 6-1, 6-4, at No. 1 to 35th-ranked James Meredith.
Tech put the match away as Sebastien Jacques (Jr., Magog, Quebec, Canada) took the No. 6 contest, 6-2, 6-3, over Erik Sheldon. Boise State won the No. 2 match with Tech’s Luka Somen (So., Karlovac, Croatia) falling, 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (5), versus Vincente Joli.
Tech won the No. 1 doubles match as Beck/Daciek defeated Hodel/Meredith, 8-5, but Boise State evened things up when Jacques/Re lost, 8-5, to Joli/Pogostkin. With the doubles point hanging in the balance, Somen/Tocci fought off three match points, including two in the tiebreaker, to edge Mullen/Sheldon, 9-8 (6).
The Hokies return to action on Sat., Feb. 6 at 10 a.m. (ET) in their ACC opener at Boston College..
#15 Illinois 6, #27 Virginia Tech 1
1. #35 James Meredith (BSU) def. Yoann Re (VT) 6-1, 6-4
2. Vincente Joli (BSU) def. Luka Somen (VT) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (5)
3. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) 6-2, 6-3
4. #75 Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Cristian Hodel (BSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Will Beck (VT) def. Jeff Mullen (BSU) 7-5, 6-0
6. #100 Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Erik Sheldon (BSU) 6-2, 6-3
Finishing Order: 4, 5, 3, 1, 6*, 2
1. Beck/Daciek (VT) def. Hodel/Meredith (BSU) 8-5
2. Joli/Pogostkin (BSU) def. Jacques/Re (VT) 8-5
3. Somen/Tocci (VT) def. Mullen/Sheldon (BSU) 9-8 (6)
Finishing Order: 1, 2, 3*
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).