WEYMOUTH, Mass. - Virginia Tech experienced no problems Saturday afternoon in recording a 7-0 win over Boston College in the ACC opener for both teams at the Weymouth Club. Tech improved to 3-1 on the year and 1-0 in the ACC, while Boston College fell to 0-2 and 0-1 in league play.
Tech, ranked No. 20 nationally which is the highest ranking in the history of the program, won all three doubles matches for the first point of the day, then swept all six singles for the victory.
In singles, Yoann Re (Sr., Verdun, Quebec, Canada) defeated Thomas Nolan, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 1 and Luke Somen (So., Karlovac, Croatia) took the No. 2 contest, 6-4, 7-6 (4), over Akash Muppidi. Elsewhere, Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (So., Reggio Emilia, Italy) cruised to a, 6-3, 6-4, No. 3 victory against Erik Kreutzer, Patrick Daciek, ranked No. 75 nationally, took the No. 4 match, 6-1, 6-3, versus Alex Skinner, Will Beck (Jr., Potomac, Md.) took Brendon Wong, 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (9), at No. 5 and Sebastien Jacques (Jr., Magog, Quebec, Canada), ranked No. 100, defeated Brian Locklear, 6-3, 6-2, in the No. 6 match.
Tech won the No. 1 doubles match as Beck/Daciek upset 27th-ranked Kreutzer/Nolan, 8-7 (4), and Jacques/Re won, 8-4, at No. 2 over Brian Garber/Billy Grokenberger. The Hokies completed the doubles sweep as Somen/Tocci defeated Adam Davison/Muppidi, 8-2.
The Hokies return to action on Sunday at 10 a.m. (ET) against Brown in Providence, R.I.
#20 Virginia Tech 7, Boston College 0
1. Yoann Re (VT) def. Thomas Nolan (BC) 6-3, 6-3
2. Luka Somen (VT) def Akash Muppidi (BC) 6-4, 7-6 (4)
3. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) def. Erik Kreutzer (BC) 6-3, 6-4
4. #75 Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Alex Skinner (BC) 6-1, 6-3
5. Will Beck (VT) def. Brendon Wong (BC) 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (9)
6. #100 Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Brian Locklear (BC) 6-3, 6-2
1. Beck/Daciek (VT) def. #27 Kreutzer/Nolan (BC) 8-7 (4)
2. Jacques/Re (VT) def. Brian Garber/Billy Grokenberger (BC) 8-4
3. Somen/Tocci (VT) def. Adam Davison/Muppidi (BC) 8-2
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).