|(20) Virginia Tech||6|
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Virginia Tech completed a successful weekend in New England with a 6-1 win Sunday over Brown at the Pizzitola Sports Center on the Brown University campus. The Hokies defeated Boston College, 7-0, on Saturday. Tech improved to 4-1 with the win, while Brown fell to 4-3.
Tech, ranked No. 20 nationally which is the highest ranking in the history of the program, won all three doubles matches for the first point of the day and took five of the six singles for the victory.
In singles, Yoann Re (Sr., Verdun, Quebec, Canada) defeated Kendrick Au, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 1 and Luke Somen (So., Karlovac, Croatia) took the No. 2 contest, 7-6 (2), 6-2, over Nathaniel Gorham. Elsewhere, Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (So., Reggio Emilia, Italy) lost, 3-6, 6-3, 6-1, at No. 3 against Timmy Klanke, Patrick Daciek, ranked No. 75 nationally, took the No. 4 match, 7-5, 6-4, versus Mike Hill, Will Beck (Jr., Potomac, Md.) took Tom Deighton, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 5 and Sebastien Jacques (Jr., Magog, Quebec, Canada), ranked No. 100, blanked Charlie Posner, 6-0, 6-0, in the No. 6 match.
Tech won the No. 1 doubles match as Beck/Daciek defeated Au/Posner, 8-2, and Jacques/Re won, 8-1, at No. 2 over Deighton/Klanke. The Hokies completed the doubles sweep as Somen/Tocci defeated Gorham/Hill, 8-7 (3).
The Hokies return to action on Friday, Feb. 19, hosting No. 32 Rice in a 5 p.m. match at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center on the Virginia Tech campus.
#20 Virginia Tech 6, Brown 1
1. Yoann Re (VT) def. Kendrick Au (BU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Luka Somen (VT) def. Nathaniel Gorham (BU) 7-6 (2), 6-2
3. Timmy Klanke (BU) def. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. #75 Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Mike Hill (BU) 7-5, 6-4
5. Will Beck (VT) def. Tom Deighton (BU) 6-1, 6-2
6. #100 Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Charlie Posner (BU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Beck/Daciek (VT) def. Au/Posner (BU) 8-2
2. Jacques/Re (VT) def. Deighton/Klanke (BU) 8-1
3. Somen/Tocci (VT) def. Gorham/Hill (BU) 8-7 (3)
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).