LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The Louisville Cardinals proved to be too much for Virginia Tech in a 5-2 victory over the Hokies Wednesday afternoon. The contest was played at the Bass-Rudd Center on the University of Louisville campus. Louisville, ranked No. 14 in this week’s Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll, improved to 13-3 on the year, while Tech fell to 5-3.
The Hokies, ranked No. 21 nationally, lost two of the three doubles matches to drop the first point of the day, then lost four of the six singles contests in the defeat.
In singles, Luka Somen, ranked No. 71, defeated 54th-ranked Simon Childs, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 2 and Will Beck won his No. 5 contest, 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (9) over Andrew Carter. A super tiebreaker was played in lieu of a third set since the outcome of the team match had been decided.
Elsewhere in singles, No. 47 Yoann Re lost his No. 1 match, 6-3, 6-3, against 34th-ranked Austen Childs, while Corrado Degl’Incerti Tocci fell, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 4 versus Viktor Maksimcuk. Tech also suffered defeats in the two other singles contest as Patrick Daciek dropped his No. 4 match, 6-4, 6-4, to Alejandro Calligari and Sebastien Jacques lost, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 6 to Robert Hall.
In doubles action, Louisville won the No. 1 match, 8-4, as Beck/Daciek lost to Calligari/S. Childs and Jacques/Re dropped their No. 2 contest, 8-5, against A. Childs/Chidi Gabriel. Somen/Tocci won the No. 3 match, 8-5, over Carter/Maksimcuk.
The Hokies return to action on March 13, when they travel to Richmond, Va. to play Southern Methodist.
#14 Louisville 5, #21 Virginia Tech 2
1. #34 Austen Childs (UL) def. #47 Yoann Re (VT) 6-3, 6-3
2. #71 Luka Somen (VT) def. #54 Simon Childs (UL) 6-2, 6-3
3. Viktor Maksimcuk (UL) def. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) 6-3, 6-3
4. Alejandro Calligari (UL) def. Patrick Daciek (VT) 6-4, 6-4
5. Will Beck (VT) def. Andrew Carter (UL) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (9)
6. Robert Hall (UL) def. Sebastien Jacques (VT) 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish:6, 3, 1*, 2, 5, 4
1. Calligari/S. Childs (UL) def. Beck/Daciek (VT) 8-4
2. A. Childs/Chidi Gabriel (UL) def. Jacques/Re (VT) 8-5
3. Somen/Tocci (VT) def. Carter/Maksimcuk (UL) 8-5
Order of finish: 1, 2*, 3
* Clinching point
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).