RICHMOND, Va. - Virginia Tech made the most of a trip to the state capital for a neutral court match with a 5-2 victory over Southern Methodist Saturday afternoon. The win snapped a two-match losing streak for the Hokies. The contest was played at the Thalhimer Tennis center on the Virginia Commonwealth University campus.
Tech (6-3), ranked No. 21 nationally, won two of the three doubles matches to take the first point of the day, then captured four of the six singles contests for the victory.
After taking the doubles points, Tech took a 2-0 lead as Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (So., Reggio Emilia, Italy) easily won his No. 3 match, 6-2, 6-0, over Tobias Flood. However, the Mustangs (7-8) galloped back to even the contest as Darren Walsh defeated Patrick Daciek (So., Severna Park, Md.), 7-6 (5), 6-2, at No. 4 and 99th-ranked Artem Baradach took the No. 1 contest, 6-4, 6-4 over No. 47 Yoann Re (Sr., Verdun, Quebec, Canada).
Tech recaptured the lead when Luka Somen (So., Karlovac, Croatia), ranked No. 71 nationally, defeated David Costa, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3, in the No. 2 match. Will Beck (Jr., Potomac, Md.) clinched the team victory with a, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4, win at No. 5 over Pablo Perez-Espanaola. Sebastian Jacques (Jr., Magog, Quebec, Canada) provided the final margin with a tight, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (3), win at No. 6 versus Chris Hooshayar.
In doubles action, SMU jumped in front with a win at No. 2 as Adham el-Effendi/Walsh defeated Jacques/Re, 8-4, but Tech evened the competition as Beck/Daciek picked up a, 8-6, win at No. 1 over Costa/Perez-Espanola. The Hokies won the doubles point with Somen/Tocci taking the No. 3 contest, 8-5, versus Baradach/Hooshyar.
Tech will return to action on Wednesday, March 17, when the Hokies host No. 36 Nebraska at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center on the Virginia Tech campus.
#21 Virginia Tech 5, Southern Methodist 2
1. #99 Artem Baradach (SMU) def. #47 Yoann Re (VT) 6-4, 6-4
2. #71 Luka Somen (VT) def. David Costa (SMU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
3. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) def. Tobias Flood (SMU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Darren Walsh (SMU) def. Patrick Daciek (VT) 7-6 (5), 6-2
5. Will Beck (VT) def. Pablo Perez-Espanaola (SMU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
6. Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Chris Hooshyar (SMU) 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (3)
Order of finish: 3, 4, 1, 2, 5*, 6
1. Beck/Daciek (VT) def. Costa/Perez-Espanaola (SMU) 8-6
2. Adham el-Effendi/Walsh (SMU) def. Jacques/Re (VT) 8-4
3. Somen/Tocci (VT) def. Baradach/Hooshyar (SMU) 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3*
* Clinching point
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).