BLACKSBURG, Va. - Virginia Tech overcame a heartbreaking doubles loss to bounce back and dominate singles in a 5-2 win Wednesday afternoon over No. 25 Nebraska at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center. Tech improved to 7-3 on the year while Nebraska dropped to 11-4.
The Hokies, ranked No. 22 nationally, lost two of the three doubles matches to drop the first point of the afternoon, then captured five of the six singles contests for the victory.
After dropping the doubles point, Tech evened the contest as Sebastien Jacques (Jr., Magog, Quebec, Canada), ranked No. 107, cruised past Andre Stenger, 6-1, 6-4 at No. 6. The Hokies took the lead for good when Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (So., Reggio Emilia, Italy) won, 6-1, 6-4, over David Bendheim in the No. 3 contest and increased the advantage to 3-1 with a, 6-4, 6-2, win by Patrick Daciek (So., Severna Park, Md.) at No. 4 against Francois Van Impe.
Tech clinched the win as Luka Somen (So., Karlovac, Croatia), ranked No. 67, defeated 82nd-ranked Christopher Aumueller, 6-4, 6-1, in the No. 2 match. Nebraska picked up its lone singles win at No. 5 as Will Beck (Jr., Potomac, Md.) fell, 7-6 (1), 6-4, to Benedict Lindheim. Yoann Re (Sr., Verdun, Quebec, Canada), ranked No. 51, provided the final margin of victory with his, 6-3, 3-6, 6-4, win at No. 1 over 81st-ranked Calin Paar.
In doubles action, Jacques/Re won the No. 2 contest, 8-6, over Aumueller/Stenger, but Nebraska evened the competition as Somen/Tocci lost for only the third time in the dual match season, 8-4, to Van Impe/Lindheim. The Cornhuskers won the doubles point when Beck/Daciek saw their upset bid against 73rd-ranked Bendheim/Parr come up just short in a 9-8 (4) loss.
Tech will return to action on Sunday, March 21, when the Hokies host No. 62 Maryland at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center on the Virginia Tech campus.
#21 Virginia Tech 5, #25 Nebraska 2
1. #51 Yoann Re (VT) def. #81 Calin Paar (Neb) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
2. #67 Luka Somen (VT) def. #82 Christopher Aumueller (Neb) 6-4, 6-1
3. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) def. David Bendheim (Neb) 6-1, 6-4
4. Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Francois Van Impe (Neb) 6-4, 6-2
5. Benedict Lindheim (Neb) def. Will Beck (VT) 7-6 (1), 6-4
6. #107 Sebastien Jacques (VT) def. Andre Stenger (Neb) 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: 6, 3, 4, 2*, 5, 1
1. #73 Bendheim/Paar (Neb) def. Beck/Daciek (VT) 9-8 (4)
2. Jacques/Re (VT) def. Aumueller/Stenger (Neb) 8-6
3. Van Impe/Lindheim (Neb) def. Somen/Tocci (VT) 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1*
* Clinching point
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).