BLACKSBURG, Va. – Virginia Tech sophomore Luka Somen won the deciding point in both singles and doubles Friday night to lead the Hokies to a 4-3 win at Clemson. Tech improved to 14-5 overall and 7-3 in the ACC, while Clemson fell to 17-8 and 3-7 in league play.
The Hokies, ranked No. 21 in this week’s Intercollegiate Tennis Association poll, won two of the three doubles matches for the first point, then split the six singles contests for the victory.
After taking the doubles point, Tech quickly took a 3-0 advantage as Yoann Re (Sr., Verdun, Quebec, Canada), ranked No. 60 in the nation, defeated Derek DiFazio, 6-1, 6-0, in the No. 1 contest and Patrick Daciek (So., Severna Park, Md.) took the No. 4 match, 6-2, 6-4, over Gera Boryachinskiy. The Tigers got on the board with a, 6-2, 2-6, 6-4, win by Carlos Alvarez at No. 3 against Corrado Degli’ Incerti Tocci (So., Reggio Emilia, Italy).
Clemson tied the match as Sebastien Jacques (Jr., Magog, Quebec, Canada) dropped the No. 6 match, 6-3, 6-4, to Wesley Moron and Will Beck (Jr., Potomac, Md.) fell, 6-1, 2-6, 6-4, at No. 5 against Rok Bizjak. With the outcome of the team match hanging in the balance, Somen (So., Karlovac, Croatia), ranked No. 66 nationally, won a tough, 6-2, 2-6, 6-2, decision at No. 2 over Kevin Galloway.
In doubles, Jacques/Re won the No. 2 match, 8-5, versus Juan Bolona/Moran, however Clemson tied up the doubles competition as Beck/Daciek lost, 8-6, at No. 1 to Boryachinskiy/DiFazio. The Hokies won the critical doubles point as Somen/Tocci ran their ACC record to 10-0 with a tight, 9-8, win at No. 3 over Bizjak/Moritz Dettinger.
Tech returns to action on Sunday with a noon match at No. 26 Georgia Tech.
#21 Virginia Tech 4, #44 Clemson 3
1. #60 Yoann Re (VT) def. Derek DiFazio (CU) 6-1, 6-0
2. #66 Luka Somen (VT) def. Kevin Galloway (CU) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
3. Carlos Alvarez (CU) def. Corrado Degl’ Incerti Tocci (VT) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
4. Patrick Daciek (VT) def. Gera Boryachinskiy (CU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Rok Bizjak (CU) def. Will Beck (VT) 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
6. Wesley Moran (CU) def. Sebastien Jacques (VT) 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 4, 3, 6, 5, 2*
1. Boryachinskiy/DiFazio (CU) def. Beck/Daciek (VT) 8-6
2. Jacques/Re (VT) def. Juan Bolona/Moran (CU) 8-5
3. Somen/Tocci (VT) def. Bizjak/Moritz Dettinger (CU) 9-8
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3*
* Clinching point
For updates on Virginia Tech men's tennis, follow the Hokies on Twitter (@VT_MTennis).